Tuesday, August 2, 2011

stay cool

It has been quiet here, I know.  But I have been keeping to my previous commitment to myself to do something creative everyday.  My paints have occupied our dining room table for the last couple of days.

Mostly though, I've been hanging around in my underwear, trying to stay cool underneath the ceiling fan with a wet washcloth while watching too many episodes of Weeds.  I'm "this" close to getting a huge block of ice and placing it in front of a standing fan and hacking myself a kind of swamp cooler.  Only I won't because I once saw an episode of CSI years and years ago about a guy who electrocuted himself doing the same thing.  No one wants to be found dead in their underwear by beautiful people like Marg Helgenberger.  It is just undignified.

But I digress...

According to the well-educated fingers of the obstetrician I saw this morning my cervix is still long and closed.  I'll have to take her word for it because I'm not down with self-cervix checking.  I'll leave those shenanigans to the real zealous pregnant people on the Baby Center boards I occasionally silently stalk (By stalk I mean the boards not the zealots. Those I try to avoid).

Actually these particular well-educated fingers were not the ones that my cervix has known over the last five years as my regular OB was at the hospital delivering a baby.  For the very first time we saw one of her colleagues who, as it turned out, was the resident who assisted with George's delivery.  Leif didn't remember her but I did.  She was one of five people on this earth who saw George while he was alive, even if it was only briefly, and so her face is seared into my brain.  Upon seeing her I had the sudden desire to reach inside her mind and pull out images of George I've never seen before.  She owns footage of his life I'll never get to see.  That seems not right.

I guess long and closed means that, at least for the time being, I will have to continue to come up with novel ways to keep myself cool. Tomorrow...lunch with Leif, a free day at the Craft Museum, and an eyebrow waxing because good lordy are my brows out of control.








4 comments:

  1. Glad things are progressing smoothly if not quickly. It's hot in the midwest too. I love that you've gone forward with your creativity project. You should show off some work so we can all be suitably impressed and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am suddenly caught up in an internal debate wondering if I'd rather be found dead in my underwear by Marg Helgenberger or Dennis Franz. I may never undress again.

    Hoping everything keeps going well and that it cools off for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewww, Dennis Franz. That is a tough call. I'm gonna have to think about that one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long and closed. Ugh. Words I heard too often at the end of Angus' pregnancy. Hoping it becomes short and open, SOON!
    xo

    ReplyDelete