In George's Garden there are berries. Raspberries and blueberries, two different kinds I think. There are roses and hydrangeas and a number of other plants that border the circular plot of earth in my in-law's backyard that is named after their first grandchild. But it is the raspberries and the blueberries that make my heart ache each time I find myself there.
So easily I can conjure up images of Clio and her cousins -maybe one day a living sibling too- clamoring around the garden snatching blueberries and gingerly maneuvering around thorns to capture tart raspberries. I see blue mouths and red stains. I smell dirt-stained knees and I hear the gaggle of laughter bubbling up from tiny mouths.
It is the blueberries and raspberries that make my heart ache.
Because I so much would like to be able to see there with the rest of them a little tow-headed boy with his father's eyes and his mother's toothy grin, leading the charge into the clearing of grass with blueberries and raspberries in hand.
But instead I see a ghost roaming in and out of the periphery of my vision and I wonder how long it will take before even that is gone.
I'm so sorry George isn't here to enjoy berries with Clio and the cousins. And your last sentence really pulled at my heart and touches on a fear of mine: that my connection to Molly will someday possibly fade away. The thought is too painful, and right now I must clutch her memory extremely close.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and George. xo
George's Garden sounds wonderful. And I wish that he were here, to lead the charge to the fruit. I don't know if their ghosts ever fade away completely? I'm not certain. Only four years ago and I still feel haunted. But not in a bad way.
ReplyDeleteI know :( oh, how I know.
ReplyDeleteOh this post made me tear up. I feel the same way, but not about a garden. About our dog. Sometimes I see him running around the yard having a grand old time and I see a shadow of a little boy running along with him. It breaks my heart that my puppy was going to have a buddy and now he doesn't.
ReplyDeleteGeorge's garden sounds so beautiful my friend. Oh I hope they never fade away.
ReplyDeleteRemembering George always. xx
His garden sounds so sweet. Flowers and berries and at his grandparents' house where his sister and cousins can run wild eating and smelling and playing? So, so sweet, Brianna. But I wish he could join them there, too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful imagery. I can just see him in there. I can.
ReplyDeletexo
Oh, I just wish so much he was there, gobbling up those berries. Much love to you.
ReplyDeletexo
Beautiful imagery my friend.
ReplyDeleteThe ghost of Margot is everywhere, all the time, but there are certainly places like the garden you describe, where her shadow is cast longer and her absence is felt more acutely.
I may borrow this idea and write about it soon.
Thanks for writing and I can't believe I missed this post along the way.