Saturday, March 16, 2013

G3 P2 A1

About eight weeks ago I took a home pregnancy test and it was positive.  Yesterday, at 12 weeks and 1 day, I had an ultrasound and was told that the fetus had died.  I watched the screen with the same sense of foreboding I had when we were having the ultrasound that first revealed there was something wrong with George.  Back then I watched that screen, seeing fluid in his belly, knowing that something was very wrong.  This time I knew within seconds of seeing the baby that there was no heartbeat.  Like previously, I waited for the doctor to say it first before I actually believed what I already knew to be happening.  It is amazing how the human spirit will hold on to the smallest sliver of hope against all possibility.

This pregnancy wasn't planned.  I mean, it was and it wasn't, if that makes any sense at all.  Things here have been really tough.  I sometimes think that this city is out to get us and that we would have been better off taking our chances with The Earthquakes and The Terrible Housing Market and The Terrible School System back in L.A.  We just can't seem to catch a break here.  There will be days when there seems to be a little light at the end of the tunnel but inevitably it turns out to be just a mirage.

When George died I felt like the world had singled me out when every one else was easily doing that which I seemed to not be able to do; have a healthy baby.  There was self-pity oozing out of my pores for months before I realized that I was not in fact special and did not in fact deserve a good outcome from a pregnancy anymore than the next person.  Realizing that didn't make me any less sad but it made it easier to live with myself.  I think coming to an understanding about that years ago is going to make this loss less traumatic for me.  At least I am hoping it will.

Now I get to decide which way the rest of this miscarriage plays out.  Having a choice in how I end the physical part of this experience gives me a sense of control that otherwise I would not have, so that is good...I guess.  Wait it out, take a pill, or have a procedure.  I'm scared of all three, frankly.  I wish there was a fourth option that did not involve pain, bleeding and crying.

In two weeks it will be three years since George died.

Fucking March.

17 comments:

  1. I'm so so sorry. This is heartbreaking news. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. I'm sorry life has been hard. I'm sorry for these terrible options. Mostly I'm sorry for the loss of your baby. I wish you peace over the next days, weeks, months. It will not make your losses any less, but i hope the beautiful summer/fall in Oregon is healing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I'm so sorry.

    Fing March is right. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when you have no words, the I'm so sorry always feels so flat, but I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, mercy. I'm so sorry to hear this. And you haven't been singled out, but that doesn't mean it sucks any less.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. We are so close, less than an hour from one another I imagine, if you ever want to get together for a coffee and let the kiddos run around let me know. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm sorry too. Just very sorry. Take good care of yourself, however you decide to let things go. I don't much like March, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is horrible and may feel like the world is out to get you. I'm not completely convinced it isn't out to get me.... So I can't do a lot of reassuring there... But I'm sorry that Portland is ganging up on you and that bad news has to come in March and that you have to make a decision at all. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dear. I am so, so sorry. I hate March for you. Hoping that you can catch a break in Portland soon.

    I think that I felt the same way when I lost my second pregnancy. Not as singled out. Not as guilty or self accusing. Just sad. Wishing I could extend that fourth option that did not involve crying, bleeding or pain.

    For what it's worth, I had the procedure. It was. . . . well, as un-horrible as something inherently horrible could be.

    Sending love to you and I'm just so damn sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Brianna. God fucking March is right. I've been thinking about you, and George these days leading up to the 31st.

    Sending so much love and light your way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry. I am hating March along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just saw this, and I'm so sorry, Bree. I'm so sorry about George and the move being difficult and now this additional loss. Sadness. My heart goes out to you and your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just catching up, I'm so behind on reading and writing in this world. I'm shattered for you. So very sorry, my friend. Wish there was more I could say or do.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stupid, terrible March. I hate this. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I am sending love and rage, and wishing I had more and better things to send.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so, so sorry. This is awful and unfair and really, I hate that you are having to suffer through this. I wish I had more words to offer but unfair seems to be running through my head on repeat. So unfair. Sending love to you. xx

    ReplyDelete