Tuesday, October 18, 2011

searching for fall

Last year as the weather cooled and the fog started to settle in I can remember having the frequent desire to stop the march of summer into fall. It was the inevitable approach of the holidays that made me feel like the air was being sucked out of my lungs.  I used to love the fall and all the holidays that it brought along with it but last year was different.  All the things I loved about the season had morphed into all the things I hated about the season.

This morning I woke up and for the first time this year it felt like fall. The air had a crispness to it so that as I made my transition from the warmth of my bed to the living room couch to drink coffee and eat cereal, I had to pull our wool blanket around my shoulders.  Outside it was so foggy and misty that I could barely make out the outline of the houses on the hill below us.  It just felt like the corner from summer into fall had finally been turned.

With the feeling that fall was finally here came a tiny flicker of apprehension as well.  A little spark of anxiety that made me wonder how I was going to feel through these next few months as Halloween and Thanksgiving, and then the big one- Christmas, come barreling down the pipeline.  These holidays are rich with themes of family and togetherness and celebration; all themes that seem to emphasize George's absence.

Like I do every day, this morning I put Clio in the carrier, kissed her on her sweet little head, and we went for a walk around our neighborhood. Usually I just space out listening to music while Clio sleeps but this morning my mind wondered to George and what going on a walk would be like with him if he had miraculously lived instead of died that March day.  He would be nineteen months old now, old enough to be interested in all the things I would point out during our walk; red-orange leaves on the ground, spiderwebs outlined in dew drops, Halloween pumpkins and plastic skeletons hanging on fences...

Thinking about George this morning made my chest ache but it also made me smile a little bit too.  A fair haired boy with big blue eyes, wide in amazement and excitement, dressed in corduroy pants and a striped sweater. He would have loved this time of year, I'm sure of it.  Sometimes George is still alive in my imagination and sometimes it feels good to visit him there.





With the holidays approaching, how is everyone feeling?  Will you be including your missing child in your holiday traditions?  Are the holidays making you feel anxious or are they making you feel hopeful?

10 comments:

  1. I like this idea that visiting Eliza in my imagination won't be so painful in the future, but that it might make me smile. A wistful smile, but still.

    I'm determined to pretend the holidays aren't happening. Skipping all the family events, visiting a nearby city for Thanksgiving weekend, and heading somewhere warm and tropical over Christmas. I just want it to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me crying in a little coffee shop in Sierra Madre. It probably didn't help that I'm listening to Love by Nancy Adams (Fantastic Mr. Fox soundtrack). I think he would have loved the pumpkins and spider webs too. Little explorer George, full of wonder like his parents.

    I'm feeling numb about the holidays. I don't feel like skipping them because I have always loved them. But I know it's going to be harder than I imagine, just like my birthday and Father's Day and other events I figured would be a breeze, but ended up in a pile of shit. But even still, I'm not ready to write them off. I want to embrace, as much as this grief will allow. Besides, we can't skip them anyway, because Stella is already talking about Frosty and because my entire family is flying in for the event.

    Lots of LOVE to the four of you. See you tonight.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke- I hope that one day you can have a little peace when you visit Eliza as well. It will never, ever replace our children but being able to go to that place in our imaginations where they still exist is a gift. At least it has been for me. Your plan for the holidays- that was mine last year. It worked. I made it through them. I hope it works for you too.

    Josh- I'm reminded of something we talked about the other night in regards to Halloween this year. You said you didn't want to miss out with Stella because if you did that would make you sad too. I feel like it is so much about choosing which type of sad you want to embrace. The sad that will be there because Margot isn't or the sad that will be there if you miss out on something with Stella. It is so had. I hope you find a balance.
    Looking forward to pizza and good conversation with you guys tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much apprehensive of the holidays this year. It will be our second bout of them since our loss. You explained it perfectly when you said they emphasize our babies' absences. So true. So so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost sense him walking up that path ahead of you. What a beautiful description of him you have given.
    This will be our second holiday season without Cullen.. another halloween, thanksgiving and Christmas. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that idea, of visiting G in my imagination. I often do, at all different ages too. She isn't constrained by the conventional passage of time like the rest of us.

    I can also just see your little George, with his wide eyes. Sweet boy, I do so wish that he were here, walking alongside you and Clio.

    I love the holidays, especially Christmas. The first one was too hard, no G and J had a false start for home on Christmas Eve which came to nothing, but each one has got easier and remained just as awful, if you know what I mean? Depends which eye I'm looking out from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, Leslie- It is our second without George as well. Looks like we will all be thinking about our missing babies and wondering what the holidays would be like with them here.

    Catherine- I do know what you mean when you say each one got easier and remained just as awful. I think that is what they will be like for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have as many holiday traditions at this time of year as you guys (really just Christmas, no Halloween or Thanksgiving) but that first year, I opted out of it all together. No tree, no festivities, no fun. It progressively got better, mostly due to the fact Angus had just joined our family by the time the second one came around. I wish I could visit Hope more often in my mind. To me, she just seems frozen as a newborn. Sometimes I almost refer to her as the little sister. I can barely wrap my brain around the fact she's the big sister, over three years old now. She's my forever baby.
    Love to you guys.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I feel like it is so much about choosing which type of sad you want to embrace."

    You are a lovely person, Brianna, with lovely words inside of you - even in the midst of pain. Perhaps all the more because of pain...?

    Another fall is here whether I want it or not,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sally- "She's my forever baby." I sometimes feel like that too.

    Cathy- Thank you.

    ReplyDelete