Friday, November 4, 2011

reclaimed; this box, my life, and George's death

Recently Leif and I were given an amazing hand-crafted box made from reclaimed wood made by our dear friend Josh.  It was made specifically for George and his initials are burned into the side- G.E.H.  It is a place for the few things in this world that are exclusively his; baby blankets knitted with love from grandmothers, ink prints of tiny feet, three photographs of his little face.  We had no special place for these things. They were stashed in a cabinet that has since become his sister's wardrobe and in a plastic bin stuffed in our closet.  When we mentioned this to Josh he offered to make something special to house George's things.  Special is what it certainly turned out to be.

In the days since it has been in our home I have traced the outline of his initials a dozen times.  G.E.H.  A gift for my son.

I am so incredibly grateful for the box.  For Josh and for Kari.  For their living daughter Stella, and for the one I never met, Margot.  Rarely in life do you find friends such as these.  Rarely in life do meet people who are just so fucking cool.

For a long time after George died all I wanted to do was clothe myself in grief and live in the shadow of his death.  It was the only way I knew how to feel close to him.  I couldn't imagine ever finding, let alone admitting to finding, positive things in my life that came as a result from his death.  How could anything good come from something so terrible and tragic as bearing witness to the death of my son?  But there were positive things, even then.  In the saddest days there were seeds of beauty being sewn into my life solely because he had died.  Now I find myself collecting and cultivating those beautiful things in the hopes that they make his existence add up to more than the 292,320 minutes he lived inside of my womb and the mere 24 he lived outside.

Nineteen months later those seeds are blooming everywhere in my life.  The strength of my marriage.  The little girl Clio who just yesterday learned how to roll over.  The deep sense of empathy I have for others in the midst of tragedy.  The strength of character I now have.  The bonds of friendship I have developed with people like Josh and Kari.  This human, the one who now occupies this more wrinkled and faded skin, is a direct descendent of his life and death.  I am who I am because he was who he was.

I miss George every day.  His absence still hurts and I don't think that will ever completely go away.  His death was ugly but my life from his death is beautiful and for that I am grateful.


10 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Brianna, and what I aspire to as well (although I admittedly have a long way to go). As I posted on Josh's blog, we'll never be able to forget what the gifts of these new friendships and connections has cost us. But we can't let that price we've paid completely overshadow the beauty of those gifts. Because they are amazing, and they do help us honor our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... U said it so well... "i am who I am because he was who he was." I feel the same but haven't been able to put it into words in my 16 months of grief. Lovely box. Josh is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "His death was ugly but my life from his death is beautiful and for that I am grateful."

    Were all these meaningful, beautiful people "out there" before...? Only I didn't know where to search for them or how to unearth them?

    Or did all of us change because of what happened...we moved through the grief door, became who we are becoming now, and aligned with depth and richness more than was possible in our "before" lives?

    I don't know.

    This is where the richness lives, maybe. The very good comes out of the very bad - without erasing it.

    That box is stunning. Only someone who understands like Josh does could make it. Perfect.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful and what it represents is beautiful, George, Margot, Clio, Stella, you and Leif, Josh and Kari, your friendship and the life that came to you through George's existence. He's deeply missed, your dear son. What a wonderful post x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The box is awesome...the box itself is really nice but everything else about it is what makes it so special...that it came from a friend who was thinking of your son and family, from someone who also has lost a child, someone who gets it. There is so much kindness wrapped up in the energy and effort it took to make it. I am glad you have someone you can share these things with in REAL LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Renel, how lovely to have your friendship in real life. That box is just beautiful. Perfect.

    "I couldn't imagine ever finding, let alone admitting to finding, positive things in my life that came as a result from his death. How could anything good come from something so terrible and tragic as bearing witness to the death of my son? "

    Totally get it. The good things pop out even when we don't necessarily want them to. Sending lots of love to you and the west coast crew :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bree -
    Your blog made me shed some pretty heavy tears. I want this to be true for me too one day, with all my heart. I loved when you wrote:
    "This human, the one who now occupies this more wrinkled and faded skin, is a direct descendent of his life and death."

    Thank you for all the hope you give to us. We love you.
    - Kari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you for your kind words Brianna. But also for your bravery in posting about some of the beauty that has come from George's death. I don't see this often and it's so nice to read. I hope upon hope to feel this one day too.

    We love the four of you.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brianna, I saw your comment on Angie's blog, and had to thank you. I am still nailing down exactly why it comforted me. I think it was the last line.

    "We do the best we can (I like to think anyway) with what we know when we know it. It is a process; all of this learning how to live in our grief. I can't fault the me for the stupid shit I did and said in my early days of grief anymore than I can fault myself for being wrapped up in my innocence before my son died. We live in first person, not third person and we just don't know what we don't know."

    You're right - first person, not third person. I guess this all comes with being finite. I don't know close to everything I wish I did - and a lot of things, I learned too late. I could kick against that forever, but why?

    Thanks for sharing your brain and your words.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous post Brianna. It is such a tricky feeling - because in those early days, there was nothing I wouldn't give to have Z back. The idea of good things coming from losing her was just horrible - it set up ideas that were still tempting then of some kind of bargain, where you actually got to choose what you wanted. But we didn't get to choose. We lost her, and for that itself, there is no silver lining. But that doesn't mean that good things have happened since she died, and that her life & death hasn't impacted us in some good ways.

    These little seeds do expand George's existence - they mean that his trace is still growing and adding to your lives.

    ReplyDelete