Wednesday, November 23, 2011

thanksgiving and my 200th post

This morning I'm sitting in my office, waiting for things to pick up, while still trying to recover from last night's ninety minute commute home from hell and simultaneously gearing up for an even worse one tonight. This is Thanksgiving traffic in Los Angeles. It is soul-crushing. Last night I cried in my car but this morning I was laughing about how people lose their damn minds while staring at the snaking line of brake lights through their windsheilds.


I've been thinking about how different things are this year as opposed to this time last year. Last year the holidays left me a quivering mass of jello made from a Brianna mold. Lemon-flavored jello. Bitter and transparent. Which, of course, was a completely reasonable state to be in. This time last year I wrote the following post. I read it now and feel so acutely what a difficult time I was having when I first wrote it.


But things are different this time. Better. Happier. The intensity of my grief over George's death is not debilitating as it was a year ago. Anyway, the purpose of this post was to give encouragement to those of you are facing down your first holidays without your babies. It gets better. The pain never goes away but it does get easier, I promise you.


Wishing you all a peaceful day tomorrow.




Stretched and Stark (originally posted November 9, 2010)



On days like this it comes so near as to snatch the breath from my lungs.  I reach out and feel the bitterness and anger and sorrow on the tips of my fingers.  Smooth, solid.  An obelisk of obsidian throwing long shadows on my life's landscape.



A seed of wide love coated a thousand times over in mourning.  My very own black pearl. 


My mind wanders to naked branches, limbs stretched and stark against a blue sky.  They herald the coming season but instead of choirs of angels I hear them speak to me in cautionary baritones.  The Winter creeps ever closer still and one morning I awake to find that it is almost upon us.  The nearly imperceptible change of the angle of light throughout the day; soft and simultaneously inexorable.  I feel the weight of it pressing on to my shoulders.


There is no shine or sparkle to these days ahead.


I once read a book* and it pulled loose a small thread in one of my seams.    


“Nothing is predetermined, it is determined, or was determined, or will be determined. No matter, it all happened at once, in less than an instant, and time was invented because we cannot comprehend in one glance the enormous and detailed canvas that we have been given – so we track it, in linear fashion piece by piece. Time however can be easily overcome; not by chasing the light, but by standing back far enough to see it all at once. The universe is still and complete. Everything that ever was is; everything that ever will be is – and so on, in all possible combinations. Though in perceiving it we imagine that it is in motion, and unfinished, it is quite finished and quite astonishingly beautiful. In the end, or rather, as things really are, any event, no matter how small, is intimately and sensibly tied to all others. All rivers run full to the sea; those who are apart are brought together; the lost ones are redeemed; the dead come back to life; the perfectly blue days that have begun and ended in golden dimness continue, immobile and accessible; and, when all is perceived in such a way as to obviate time, justice becomes apparent not as something that will be, but something that is.”


I've since unraveled as time has pulled me away farther from him.


Underneath something different.  Nearly imperceptibly so.  Softer and simultaneously inexorable.  


How I ache to believe that we will be brought together.  That he is more than just a single brush stroke on this canvas.  That he is, no matter how small, intimately and sensibly tied to all others.


My son, where are you?

I miss you.

I am incomplete.  

8 comments:

  1. I needed to read this today, Brianna. Thank you. I'm starting to get to the place where grief doesn't feel so all-consuming, so debilitating as you said, but as the one year anniversary of Eliza's birthday approaches... oof. It all comes back so easily. Thanks for helping me believe my holidays might someday get their sparkle back.

    And sorry about that commute. I'm now That Girl who listens to audio books from the public library. The drive still sucks, but I feel a little more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy thanksgiving to you. Not something we celebrate here in Australia, but I love reading about all of your traditions, traffic and otherwise.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liam's due date is coming up in a few weeks and then there's the holidays yes... so much not to look forward to. It's good to hear that it gets better with time but for now im feeling like that quivering, bitter jello you speak of.
    Your Stretched and Stark post brought me to tears... I'm so sorry for the loss of your George. Your beautiful words touch my heart and give me hope, thank you for that.

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! I don't know how I feel about the holidays. Not celebratory but not dreading. Just existing. It is different having a 2.5 year old because we do things like go to parks and play and laugh and celebrate in ways we wouldnt if camille was our first and she died. I would easily skip the holidays but I probably would anyway regardless of my daughters death. I'm feeling really raw lately. Sobbing again as if it was the first month and on the 30th it will be 5 months. It feels so immediate! I lost it at work the other day. Not in front of patients but in my office. My coworker brought in her baby. I didn't think I would react that way. I didn't say hi to her. I didn't meet her new daughter. I just cried in my office. I know a lot of people believe in heaven or something. I don't know what I believe. I too wonder where is Camille. Where is George? I want to believe all the things you wrote. The merging of rivers, the return to eachother. I hope. But I have no real belief. I think it makes the loss harder. The not knowing or having faith in the reuniting of our souls. I just won't know until I die. I am thankful for my family and that I am alive but being this broken and trying to function is just hard. I guess the joy of this season is just lost on me or at least shadowed with my sorrow. It was just supposed to be so different. The smiles we will have this holiday are tainted and bitter sweet. I am so glad you have Clio and I have Kai. I wish we also have George and Camille. Sending you love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke, those weeks leading up to the anniversary of George's death were awful. I am so sorry that these weeks leading up to Eliza's birthday coincide with the holidays. It is doubly hard, I think. I hope so much that you find some peace in the coming weeks.

    Sally, thank you for the holiday wishes:)

    Natasha, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear boy, Liam. What a beautiful name for one who I am sure was a beautiful boy. My heart aches for you for both the newness of your loss and Liam's upcoming due date.

    Renel, five months is so immediate! It is completely understandable that you had difficulty with having your coworker's new daughter around. I'm so very sorry that things are feeling especially raw for you right now.
    I wish I believed in Heaven but I don't, or at least I don't think I do. I hover between being an atheist and being an agnostic. Most days I'm an atheist but on the really bad days when I need to believe that George was more than just the short span of his life I'm more agnostic. Where are they, all of our lost babies? My husband likes to believe that we all just return back into energy and somehow we are reunited. It is a nice thought but...shrug...who knows? And yes, I agree I think it makes feeling the loss more permanent and that makes things so very hard.
    But everyday I thank the universe for having mercy and letting me have Clio. Thank goodness for our living children. I wish we had them all though:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad this Thanksgiving is brighter than last for you. For me, too. Wish those little babies were here with us, though.

    Sending lots of love your way. And hoping everyone stays off the road, too ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much hope here, so much experience, so much depth. Missing you guys today. Please take lots of pictures.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much. Thank you, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete