I swam distance races. The kind in which someone sat at the opposite end of the pool from the starting blocks and counted laps. Nearing the turns I would, through my goggles, see a hand gripping a lap counter suddenly appear in the water to keep my mind focused on the course of the race. It was important in those events to know where you were at in the lap count because you had to be conscious of your energy expenditure; when it was ok to lag behind the other swimmers, when to start a relaxed picking up of the pace and when, in the final stretches, to tap the reserves and swim the last 50-100 yards in a sprint.
I've always been more physically and mentally attuned -in sports and in life- for the long haul rather than the sprinting events. Endurance is something I have in spades. This is partially why I chose the field of work I am in -many challenging years of education- and certainly how I managed to snag my most awesome husband -many months of patiently waiting for him to realize he was as into me as I was into him.
There is noting quite like the feeling of accomplishment from finishing a race long run. It is euphoric.
These last few days have been difficult though. Well, actually, the last week but I've been staving off the inevitable emotional meltdown for awhile. I've avoided anything that could possibly suck me back into those overwhelming periods of grief I've experienced since George died. I haven't looked at his pictures since Clio was born. They are now sitting in George's box, along with all of his other things, in our bedroom. Lately I've been putting her down for naps on our bed for the sole reason of making it impossible for me to go in there and pull out those photographs. I rarely even talk about George except with certain trusted people. I glance over his dust-covered urn like it is just another piece of bric-a-brac on my dresser. Next weekend we are going, along with my family, to a candle-lighting ceremony for honoring children who have died and I am not looking forward to the experience. Yet I still want to go.
I don't think that any of that is healthy behavior. Not that I think shrouding ones self in grief indefinitely is healthy behavior either but this avoidance of feeling any kind of emotion regarding George is really bad. Really bad.
In a little over three months it will be two years since I held George and kissed his face. That is a really long time to miss someone so intensely, especially ones own child. That is a really long fucking test of endurance, one that only continues to stretch out into the future. Grief doesn't have a finish line, no lap counters to help you pace yourself, no feeling of euphoria at the end of a race well-run. It gets easier, yes, but you never really finish the race.
I know this is a decidedly pessimistic post and I feel kind of shitty for writing it as I have some sort of self-imposed feeling of responsibility to all the people just starting this race to only write about how things get better (they do) and to not give the impression that I am not forever and eternally grateful for my daughter (I am). But here it is, my truth as it is today; Grief is hard and I am just so very, very tired.

It's not pessimistic, just real. And it`s where your at, today.
ReplyDeleteRemembering George. xo
I'm grateful for your honesty. Didn't you tell me just a few days ago that grief isn't linear? Oh, how I wish it were. I so wish that we had a finish line to look forward to, even if we knew it was a long time coming. Hoping you find a way to lighten your grief in the coming days.
ReplyDeleteI am also grateful for your honesty. I am just 10.5 months into this grief journey. I am thankful to learn that there is no finish line. I try to remember that all my love and grief for my son is not only sadness, but sometimes those sad days are the best way to feel connected to him and to what we have lost.
ReplyDeleteI find myself in a similar place today. I am just so very, very tired. I know I won't be here tomorrow but, somehow, that doesn't entirely make it better today. Grief is a tricksy beastie, just when I think I have the measure of it, it pulls another number on me.
ReplyDeleteI think that endurance is a good characteristic to have. Perhaps because I am someone who always comes out as a completer-finisher on those personality type tests. After all those fancy sprinting types are long gone, we'll still be here! And although I suspect that you are being self deprecating in your description of snagging Leif but it made me smile, to think of you patiently sitting there, knowing that eventually it would dawn on him that you were the one for him.
It's a fine line to tread, feeling too much and feeling too little. Both are unsustainable in their own way so I find myself swaying back and forth, a bit too much, a bit too little.
I can remember so clearly when it dawned on me that grieving for Georgina was always going to be a part of my life. Probably took me more than a week to figure that out but, well, my brain was pretty much blown to smithereens. And I just panicked. And wanted to run. Because I didn't want it to be there for the. rest. of. my. life. But it is and I'm actually kind of ok with that. I don't like her death but I did like her and sadly they are a package deal. Completer finisher that I am, I will see it through to the end. As we all have to I suppose. And this is where a gift like endurance truly comes into own.
I think that motherhood, for children both living and dead, is a task that requires endurance. It is a little like distance swimming at times, you have to pace yourself. I think that both George and Clio are very lucky to have you.
And now I'm feeling that I've left a decidedly pessimistic comment with too many sentences starting with And. Darn it. Sorry xo
Wooosh. This post feels like a crashing wave, even though I know the wave will retreat back out to sea, back out to the calm for a little while before another crash.
ReplyDeleteThe swimming imagery is really beautiful, and I'm glad for George's sake, and your families sake, and our sake that you have endurance in spades. What a profound quality to have in this time of history, as rare as it is wonderful.
I think the only responsibility you have to anyone in this babyloss world is to tell your truth. The whole truth.
Love and peace to you this weekend. See you soon.
Josh
Monique- Thank you.
ReplyDeleteBrooke- Yep, you're right I did say that:)
Davidsdogwood- Absolutely. Sometimes I feel the same way about how feeling sad makes me feel close to my son.
Catherine- "It's a fine line to tread, feeling too much and feeling too little. Both are unsustainable in their own way so I find myself swaying back and forth, a bit too much, a bit too little." Yep. Exactly this. I often feel a little like an emotional pendulum.
Also this, "I don't like her death but I did like her and sadly they are a package deal." I feel so very much the same way.
Thank you.
Josh- A crashing wave is a great analogy. Actually my therapist used a similar analogy today. You guys are on the same wavelength.
You have no obligation to those who are new in their loss. I appreciate your honesty. I want to know that their memories will never fade and that there will be days where we feel our pain fresh all over again.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it is strange to say this because I know that your grief hurts, but the fact that you are hurting for him yet still finding happiness with Clio, well that is beautiful. To me that says your heart is full of love for your babies, both of them. And I think it must be perfectly normal to want to have days where you feel no pain and you put aside the memories for a moment. Thats okay because your not forgetting, just letting your happiness find you again.
Thank you for your honesty.
ReplyDeleteYour honesty is refreshing. Early on, someone told me that grief is not linear. It is not necessarily better every day. Sometimes there are better days, then worse days. That has been so true for me. When we first brought our daughter home, I found it easier to avoid the feelings of grief, but then somedays it would wash over me in a huge wave. I still work at allowing joy and grief to Co-exist. One does not diminish the other, at least in my fantasy compartmentalized life.
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm over three years out and still have these days. So that makes me feel shitty towards the likes of you, because I want you to know it continues to get better (it does) and that I am still eternally grateful (I am). But these hard days/weeks just keep coming. And I guess what I know now is: they always will.
ReplyDeletexo
I think it'd be a disservice to the newbies if everybody pretended that after a certain point everything was suddenly sunshine and roses all the time. Your honesty is good and worthwhile, it does get better, yes, but it also still sucks so badly sometimes. And a hearty "amen sister" to your last line.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure this post is pessimistic so much as it is real. I'm so sorry that you're riding this particular wave right now, that this kind of endurance is being asked of you.
ReplyDeleteSome of this feels familiar to some of what I felt a few months after my daughter's birth - it's hard to hold the missing and the longing for one child up against your joy in the presence of another, I think.
Others have said this; I am also unsure where pessimism ends and realism begins.
ReplyDeleteI also don't think (and know that you don't think, from what you have written over time) that grief is all loss and no gain. However, that doesn't make it easy (!) or welcome.
I didn't find this post a downer. I always crave real.
I also envy you natural endurance. Mine has been forced, and is still far from a native state. But - where there is no choice, there is no choice.
Quoting Jenn, "...a hearty 'amen sister' to your last line."
Cathy in Missouri
Endurance is so very important. I think about how my grief and running are so ridiculously intertwined. Even when you think you can't go any farther, you can. Some days are easy and some are impossible to take the first step. On and on. I hear you, I get it.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes to the whole tired and grieving thing. Over here, as well. It makes me panic when I look at Calla's urn and realize I'd been glancing past it for who knows how long. This is not OK.
But then again, it is OK. This is what it is, and often it just plain sucks.
Sending you lots of love, friend.
xo
As someone who has just started this race I appreciate your honesty. I never anticipated that the pain will ever go away, and I wouldn't even want it to go away, not entirely. We aren't left with much when we lose our babies so I'm hanging onto my sadness because really its one of the only things I have left of Liam. I'm glad to hear that it gets better though.
ReplyDeleteI was my team's backstroker and I always got a boost from teammates cheering me on from the puddly sidelines - in this case it helps to talk and listen to people who understand like you.
Thinking of you and your George.
Natasha
Paula- What a beautiful way of putting it into perspective, thank you.
ReplyDeleteSue- It is such a strange feeling to go from so sad one second to joyful the next. I guess you're right. It does take work for them to co-exist and be balanced.
Sally- :)
Jenn- Thank you, friend.
Erica- "it's hard to hold the missing and the longing for one child up against your joy in the presence of another, I think." Yes! Exactly!
Cathy- It is amazing what one can endure when there is no choice or alternative isn't it?
Mary Beth- I get that panicky feeling too when I realize that I have been neglecting George's urn and things. It is weird to tend to these things since they are the only remnants of a child I'll never know.
Natasha- "We aren't left with much when we lose our babies so I'm hanging onto my sadness because really its one of the only things I have left of Liam" I have felt this so many times. Well, really, it is a state of mind I adopted after George's death. The pain of his death is one of the only ways to measure the impact his life had on my own. So wishing that you weren't having to discover all this and that instead Liam was with you.