I heard some very hard news about a friend. The kind of news that snatches the breath out of your lungs mid-inspiration.
Three to five years with intensive treatment.
Blink.
Blink.
Blink.
Silence.
How can this be? How can this have happened? But of course, it can be and has happened because life is like that. No one is immune. It is an undocumented contract we sign with our first cry outside of the womb. As long as you are still breathing you may be subject to terrible things or incredible things at any given moment.
We all know this. At least, at some point in time we figure it out. It took the death of a much wanted son to convince me of this truth. But everyone eventually reaches the same conclusion just via different routes. Some are just fortunate enough to breeze through longer than others. Yet even knowing this we go about our days in usual fashion; eating frosted cereal from a too-big bowl while reading the puzzles on the back of the box. We slurp down the leftover sweetened milk from our cereal and then brush our teeth. We iron our clothes and do the dishes. We watch bad television and write about silly things like baking a cheesecake. We go to work at jobs we don't really like.
I wonder if why she wanted me to come with her was because we both learned about the inevitable conclusion to life in the same way. I've known for almost two years. She's known for nearly thirty. We both can sit with the shadow of tragedy looming large in a room and not pretend that it isn't there. A skill set possessed by few.
If I am totally honest with myself, even with a tiny little box of ashes sitting on my dresser and knowing death the way I do, I still feel eternal.
When it comes down to it don't we all?
This is such a beautiful piece.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
Thinking of you.
UGH....Yep! Ever since Camille died I feel like everyone has tragedy waiting for them, it is just a matter of time. I feel suprised and also unsuprised when people tell me of their tragedy. One minute I think: "really? fucking hell, more tragedy?" really....and that sucking breath feeling. The next thought: "of course, it is just their turn. No guessing it would be you, or us or them, it is just someone elses turn." Then there are the people like you say who skate by unscathed, living a charmed life.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about the news your friend got. It must be exhausting just looking at the future knowing the battle that lies ahead. What a gift it must be for the both of you to be able to sit in a room together and have no bullshit clouding the reality of life. At least you can abide with eachother and simply acknowledge the shit and the super, the funny, sad and all that is in between.
I do believe we slurp away at those large bowls of cereal because as astonishing as it is to continue living and thriving after your/our child has died, we are still alive and I think our psyches can only support despair for so long. the respite is in the mundane, ordinary activity of life and that ours continues. I hope it says more about our ability to survive. We must continue on and find meaning and love and laughter in the world and life that we know which is also wrought with grief, tragedy and tears.
Sending you so much love. you and your dear friend.
"I walked a mile with Pleasure.
ReplyDeleteShe chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.
I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she;
But, oh! The things I learned from her
When Sorrow walked with me."
~ Robert Browning, 1812-1901
How desperately someone like you is needed at a time like this - and your friend has what she needs. *Who* she needs. Glad you are beside her.
The sorrow that made it possible for you to "be there" in a way that others can't - also took George.
I don't understand the math of the universe, whatever math there is.
I'm sorry about your friend's news. Very sorry. I also got news of this sort, if with different particulars. For now, it has not turned out to be true. At least, the end hasn't turned out as predicted...yet. My Dad - in medicine, like you - reminds me, "Never forget; they're guessing."
I hope they are wrong about the time frame and path for your friend, too.
With love,
Cathy in Missouri
I'm very sorry for your friend. No one is immune no. I learned this nearly 5 and a half months ago. I have that skill set now too.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your friend has you in her life, to stand by her and not be uncomfortable with the harsh truths about this life.
I'm very sorry to read about your friend. It's such a conundrum, being alive exposes you to all sorts of horrible possibilities but . . it is all that we know of, it is all that we can hope for. Perhaps we have to feel as though we are eternal, even if we know that we aren't? Because otherwise we would feel too exposed, frail little human bodies abandoned on a hillside whilst terrible and incredible storm around us, waiting to strike?! So we hide ourselves in jobs we don't like? I don't really know why we don't all end up cowering in a corner but walk around, nonchalantly, eating bowls of cereal?
ReplyDeleteAnd, as Renel says, sometimes I feel deeply surprised and deeply UNsurprised at the same time when I hear a tragic story. Strangely, I now also feel surprised when I hear a happy one. Or even just a normal one. Perhaps I need to get out more!
I'm glad that your friend has you to sit with, in the incredible and in the terrible times.
I'm terribly sorry. We should get a free pass for the rest of our lives after losing our children. If only.
ReplyDeletexo
I am so sorry for your news. Sending you and your friend lots of love and strength. Damn. Damn. Damn.
ReplyDeletexo