Friday, January 20, 2012

banker's box

While I was still in the hospital after George died, Leif packed up all the baby stuff and sent it back with my parents at my request.  When I got home it was very surreal to have everything just gone as if he had never even existed.  I regretted sending everything away almost immediately. All that was left were a couple of blankets that I ended up sleeping with for a while.  I thought over time we had recovered all of the boxes that had been sent away but yesterday I was doing some cleaning around the house and pulled out a white banker's box, scrawled with my father's nearly illegible print, "George's stuff and misc."

It was a weird experience, almost two years after his death, to randomly find a box of his "belongings" amongst a pile of other nearly identical boxes containing mundane items from life- wrapping paper, old yearbooks, sandpaper.  Really, as if anything could have ever "belonged" to a child who lived for only twenty-four minutes.  Most of the stuff inside was hand-me-down clothes that I had been collecting for him during the earlier months of my pregnancy when everything still seemed so sure and perfect.   Amidst all the green and blue sleepers and onsies I ended up finding a tiny blue hat that I had bought for his homecoming- I had almost completely forgot about it as I thought it had been lost during those early days of frantic packing and removing.  There is was.  Still tiny.  Still blue.   Still with tags on it and still unworn.  The tag says, "angel dear" and although the term "angel" always makes me squirm in relation to dead babies the irony did not escape me upon seeing it for the first time since before he died.

When things like this happen it is like finding shards of my previous life preserved in golden amber.  I smelled the hat, even though George had never worn it, and I could almost feel like that woman I once was- purely optimistic about life and so very certain about my future.  Oh but that woman hasn't lived in my skin for a long time now.  All the grieving and all the tears these last two years have not been for George alone.  They have been for that woman and that life too.

I removed all the contents of the box and shifted them around to new homes- Clio's closet, the garbage, the pile of stuff to take to the Goodwill.  The hat is in George's box with the rest of his "belongings" that still have sentimental value.  Then that white banker's box got new inhabitants.  I crossed out "George's stuff and misc" and wrote in fat sharpie marker, "Baby clothes 0-3m."

Sometimes I feel like every little trace of George is slowly being removed from life.  It is so hard to keep the memory of a dead baby alive in the shadow of a baby who lives.

Poor George, he deserved so much more than what he was given.




11 comments:

  1. Oh man, Brianna, you have hit me with this. You have perfectly crystallized how it feels looking at Calla's, uh, stuff.

    "Sometimes I feel like every little trace of George is slowly being removed from life. It is so hard to keep the memory of a dead baby alive in the shadow of a baby who lives."

    I was thinking along these lines the other day. It was almost easier to grieve before O was born; not only was it closer to her death and birth, but all that emotion, the love and the longing and intensity could be directed towards her, and the old me, too.

    It's all so complicated. Sending you love, you and Leif and your girl and boy.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with Mary-Beth, living kids do get in the way of the grief. In a good way of course, but it can be hard to just focus on the dead when the living keep us so busy.
    This line really got me: "When things like this happen it is like finding shards of my previous life preserved in golden amber."
    I have moments like this from time to time. I can't believe I was once that girl. That girl who didn't know such heartbreak and like you say, was so sure of what was ahead.
    I don't know whether I want to go back in time and hug her or slap her. Probably both.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought 2 onesies and 3 teddy bears for Liam before I was hospitalized. Thats it. I keep his little belongings with his certificates, hospital outfit, hat, blanket, and photos in my closet. I was planning on giving the teddy bears to goodwill at Christmastime but I just couldn't do it.

    I can't imagine what that must have been like to randomly find George's things, and his hat. Sometimes I'm almost thankful that we only got around to emptying out his bedroom, that we didn't start buying the things on our list. I had a list, a well researched list. I was pretty certain about my future too. Hopefully there will be a next time for me and I know that if there is, it's going to be completely different. Everything is just so different now isn't it. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have worded this thought line so well Brianna. We were all such different people 'before' and we will always long to know what lives our babies would have, should have, led. I'm glad that some of his things went to Clio.. that warms my heart. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The before and after...I was just telling my husband the other how I feel like I have had different lives. My life is in chunks with clear deliniations between who I used to be and who I now am. Sometimes it is hard to see how I transitioned...other times the distinction was instant...Like when Camille died. I have a lot of regrets. A LOT! One of them is that I never bought clothes for Camille. We didn't know she was going to be a girl. We were waiting to be suprised. We had all the boy clothes we needed from Kai. She was due in July. I figured if she was a she, we could get clothes later because it is so FREAK'N hot here that all a baby would need is diapers and a onesi. So I bought a package of white onesies and some diapers...That is it. Nothing else. I wish I had bought something...at least ONE thing. I still have the onesies with the tags on them, and all the diapers are in the drawer.

    My distraction from grief was not from a subsequent child but a previous one. I welcome the refuge that love brings from the grief.

    Georges hat is so cute. The tag is one of those weird haunting kind of things that would make me thing thta I knew all along that my child was going to die...although that is rediculous, our minds are tricky places.

    No matter your love for Cleo, no matter your love for any other children, George will always be your first child, your first son, your first TRUE love. No time will ever erase that. Sending love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought on reading that final line was, oh but he had a lovely mother. I wish that you did not have to keep a memory alive but that your boy were here, wearing that dear little hat, and that you were still the woman that you can remember being.

    Another line that struck me was your discovery of the box, with your father's handwriting. "George's stuff', I just find that so touching, it made me cry.

    I never knew quite what to do with the things that I'd bought and been given for the twins. In a strange way, I hated those things because they reminded me of my own complacency. And their sheer annoying persistence in existing, in being 'still blue, still tiny' when their future occupants was nothing at all. Just dust. I suppose that the practical thing would have been for Jessica to have kept them all but I found that I couldn't do that. I allocated some things to Georgina and I put them away. With the larger sizes, I found that I did take them out and use them for Jessica and I used to quite like seeing Georgina's things being used.

    It's interesting that I do feel, in some ways, that my live baby keeps Georgina alive more than I ever could. Because her presence tends to remind me when I might be in danger for forgetting. That, for a few months, there were two, that there might have been two. But having Reuben I can understand that effect in reverse more than I did before. But I don't think that they will be entirely removed from this life, not until we ourselves are removed perhaps? And maybe not even then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my sister in law pack up most of Breadon's stuff except his clothes and a diaper bag. This part of me keeps hoping that I am going to stumble upon something missed hidden behind something. Yes, something preserved in my previous life.

    I wonder what would happen if we were to have another boy. Do we give Braedon's clothes to the new baby, then do they no longer bear the memory of Braedon? So confusing.

    Bree, I don't believe for a single moment that you have given George any less then he deserves by loving and filling your life with Clio. You are simply an amazing Mother and doing what only amazing Mothers do: living in the moment of the one you hold in your arms and keeping George alive in your heart.

    Thinking of you and just to let you know, I have recently been inspired to pull out my sewing machine by a certain someone (you). Those felt coasters would be an easy project to get my creative juices flowing. Maybe I should try my hand at making some baby clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, so many tears for my baby, and so many tears for me and the kind of life I thought I'd have. Beautiful hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brings me back to your comment, Brianna, left on Still Life back in November:

    "We do the best we can (I like to think anyway) with what we know when we know it. It is a process; all of this learning how to live in our grief. I can't fault the me for the stupid {things} I did and said in my early days of grief anymore than I can fault myself for being wrapped up in my innocence before my son died. We live in first person, not third person and we just don't know what we don't know."

    This helps me - when I can keep it in the foreground.

    Often, I'm with Sally, reflecting on my "former self"...

    "I don't know whether I want to go back in time and hug her or slap her. Probably both."

    Catherine W's words, too:

    "I hated those things because they reminded me of my own complacency."

    If only I hadn't frittered so much time worrying on things that were pointless before life really handed me something to worry over. Now it does no good. Might as well give up worry...which, oddly, I find easier now that control has vamoosed.

    None of which connects to what matters most: George and his tiny hat. Angel Dear, truly. Every time I see Clio, I miss her big brother more.

    Like this aspect of you just as much as the Flea Market side,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Total aside -

    Do you read Mommicked? In the "Rare but Excellent" column, as in, I would beg her to post every day, but that would be obnoxious. So I just dance around my room like a lunatic when something new shows up.

    All this to say - when I read TracyOC, I think you would like her. Very much.

    What do you think?

    http://mommicked1.blogspot.com/2012/01/noise.html

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah, love. those sneaky moments, they climb up and pinch you hard, don't they? you will forever love and miss george, his memory alive in your heart. he did deserve so much more, so did you, so did we all. xo

    ReplyDelete