Through the thick safety glass the woman with the dark rimmed glasses and white hair that was cut in a short bob stared at me for a good five seconds without saying anything. I watched her as she watched me with a look of complete incomprehension. I briefly wondered how long this contest could go on. Five seconds is not long but it is an eternity when you say something like this,
The woman at window three told me to come here and talk to you about getting my son's birth certificate. He died the same day he was born. She said you don't have those records but you must because he was a live birth so he has to have a birth certificate.
After the seconds-seeming-hours of staring stopped she knitted her eyebrows together and asked me to repeat his name and birthdate as she scrawled it across a scrap of paper. Then she proceeded to clack away at her computer until she apparently came to a dead end (ahem, no pun intended) and had to call for her supervisor.
You can't hear much behind safety glass when people make it a point not to speak into the microphone. So I just watched their mimed conversation from the other side of the counter wondering to myself why this was such a difficult request for them to fulfill. Surely in a city as large as Los Angeles babies die right after they are born not infrequently and I can't be the only one who has wanted the birth certificate of her dead baby.
I saw one of them shrug and shake her head and then she asked me to have a seat. They would call me back in a few minutes.
It was at this point that I started to chew on my bottom lip to keep the tears that were hanging around in the corner of my eyes from spilling out onto my cheeks. I had not been looking forward to this errand, which had been nearly two years in the making, but I did not expect that it would be such an ordeal. Waiting in line for an hour, explaining to not one but two separate people exactly how long George lived (as if it mattered- one minute or one hour or one day...he was born alive and should have a damn birth certificate), and then initially being told that I'd have to request those records from the state directly.
The woman behind the counter beckoned me with her cotton candy colored nails.
"This all we have," she said, and swung the computer screen so that I could see it. The word "DECEASED" printed in block letters was all I could see through the semi-clouded with age safety glass.
That's fine. Give me that.
Two minutes later I was sitting in my car staring at George's birth certificate. Male, Singleton, Date of Birth 03/31/2010, Time of Birth 1559, Mother's Name Brianna, Father's Name Leif (spelled Leith, WTF?), Date of Death 03/31/2010. In the box where either Leif or I should have signed the form there was the signature of someone I did not recognize.
No George Ellsworth. It was blank where his name should have been.
And, of course, things started to make sense, as I sat in my car sobbing. We were never asked to fill out his birth certificate at the hospital. Was it a kindness, they thought? Instead some stranger filled it out as best they could for us. They never asked his name and that is what makes me the saddest. To whoever it was who filled out that form for us he was an anonymous dead baby.
They should have asked us if we wanted to fill it out ourselves. We would have said yes.
What is it about death, that some people want to pretend around it? Did...whoever...think they would make the day of George Ellsworth's birth - and death - harder? (As if anything could.)
ReplyDeleteI don't understand why they didn't ask. I don't get it at all. George is a person. A real person. He deserves the validation of every other person.
I also notice how brave you were, to go, to ask.
I'm so sorry, Brianna. Sorry beyond words. And it doesn't help.
George Ellsworth matters. About a week back, when I found and read the post about his birth and death, I wrote his name on a calendar I will always keep. His whole name.
Cathy in Missouri
Thank you Cathy, that means so much. You are a good friend:)
DeleteSo heartbreaking. There are so many ways we face their death day after day after day.
ReplyDeleteI want to get Margot's certificate of still birth, or her death certificate. I have neither. But both require me to fill out a form and get it notarized, and here 11 months from her death this still seems far too daunting.
Crying with you for George...
I get it. It has taken me 2 years to feel capable enough to do this. 11 months is not a long time at all. Why does it have to be so difficult to get these things?
DeleteOh. Oh. I'm terribly sorry. I'm just so very sorry my dear.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that person's, that anonymous form filler's, intentions were kind, but. But. I know that you and Leif would have wanted to do it yourselves. I know that we (Chris and I) wanted to get Georgina's birth and death certificates ourselves. I know how much it meant to me. And you and Leif would have known his name and filled in his name, George Ellsworth. The name you gave to your son.
You were brave, Cathy is right. You were so brave to go and ask. I have umm-ed and ahh-ed over asking for Georgina's medical notes for years now. And part of the reason is that I am too much of a coward to face the person behind the safety glass, to be the subject of that conversation with the supervisor.
I'm sorry, sorry, sorry that it was not your signature, or Leif's, on your son's birth certificate. I know it is cold comfort but I know his name, here, miles away. I don't think I am ever likely to forget George Ellsworth.
"And part of the reason is that I am too much of a coward to face the person behind the safety glass, to be the subject of that conversation with the supervisor."
DeleteI don't feel brave. I do feel like I was the subject of conversation after I left though. Most likely something along the lines of, "I thought she was going to lose it and start bawling right then and there."
Thank you. Xoxoxo.
I want a birth certificate so badly. I tried to explain this to my husband. I feel as if at times he was only alive to me. I know he never breathed outside the womb but he was and forever is my child. What I have said more then once, is if we had got to the hospital just 2 hours sooner, he would be alive. Doesn't that count? Not in the eyes of the system.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry his name was blank. You should have been given that right. To have his name printed and the acknowledgement that he was alive. I am truly sorry. It is not right.
I think it counts Paula. I wish it counted to the system too.
DeleteOh Brie, this is so sad.
ReplyDeleteIt feels like such a requirement, these certificates. And the need for one has only grown as the time passes for me, as her memory fades into oblivion. Yet, we haven't pulled the trigger.
We know his name, speak his name, write his name. He is so missed and remembered here on the north side. What breaks my heart is that you two are some of the best people I have ever known in my life, full of relentless love and kindness. I'm so sad young George never got to experience you as parents and feel such limitless love.
Josh
It does feel like a requirement. That is a good way of putting it. We have so little of them and so just a piece of paper seems like a big deal.
DeleteJosh, we feel the same way about you and Kari. We wish Margot could have grown up to know how wonderful her parents are.
Oh Brianna, i'm so sorry. I don't understand why they didn't ask at the hospital. I'm sorry that whoever filled out that form didn't think, that they didn't ask George's name. I'm sorry that they spelled Leif's name wrong and that you guys didn't get to sign George's birth certificate. I'm just so sorry for all of this. It's awful.
ReplyDeleteI spoke to Justin about your George Ellsworth just last night. We are thinking and remembering him too. x
Oh, thank you Tash. It is always so touching to read and hear his name. Missing Liam with you...
DeleteI'm so sorry. I'm sorry they didn't ask his name. I'm sorry you had to go pick up that certificate. I'm sorry it had "deceased" stamped across it. It should be so different, and I just don't know why it isn't.
ReplyDelete" It should be so different, and I just don't know why it isn't."
DeleteMe too. I wish I did know but I don't know if it would make any difference.
Ugh. This reminds me of my many conversations with my insurance provider and the state DOH rep who kept calling about hearing tests after R died. I think about quitting my job ad accompanying BLMs on these errands nationwide. I just want to grab these people and scream at them, "Put down the manual. Override the system, bureaucrat. A person died. A tiny baby died and this is your big chance to be human. Find a way."
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you had to do any of this. Remembering George with you.
Seriously. It is like dealing with robots. How difficult is it to think outside of the box? Apparently very, very difficult for most.
DeleteI'm so sorry for all of this. I went through something similar, trying to get a social security card, and I hated - so very much - having to explain myself and to tell my son's story to someone through a plexi-glass window. Ugh. I hate that you had to do this. And I think you were brave to do it. And I'm so, so sorry his name wasn't on the certificate as it should have been.
ReplyDeleteHard. But I think it is beautiful that you did that for George - and it may be that you can have his certificate corrected to show his name - though it will inevitably require more of these plexi-glass conversations. We were lucky in that our midwife brought the forms to us - we filled them in ourselves, wept over them but got the spelling right. For me it was important for Z to be on the record. I'm sorry they took that decision away from you.
ReplyDeleteThis is just so sad. Sitting here in disbelief, shaking my head that this could even happen in this day and age. Like Hanen above (who lives in our city) we filled out all the paperwork ourselves. I really don't think a doctor or midwife would have been allowed to do this anyway. The forms had to have our signatures.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry.
George matters. You are a wonderful mum to him.
xo
It all sounds awful, all of it. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that, on top of the horror of losing George in the first place. You'd think everything that comes after would just be easy...
ReplyDelete