We were supposed to move the fall after George was born. I was going to graduate, pass my board exam, and then have George all with in a six week stretch back in 2010. I'd have six months to stay at home with him full-time while I got my license and looked for a job in Oregon. That plan disintegrated pretty quickly in March of that same year. After he died I was emotionally incapable of leaving the home that we had built here.
I'm ready now, for the most part, I think. But the nostalgia for a city that I haven't even left yet has already started to kick in. I've lived here, in different parts of the city, for the better part nearly thirteen years. For all its faults, Los Angeles is a pretty fucking rad place to live while you're young.
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't nervous about the move. My parents, my sister and her daughters are all less than a couple hours drive from my house so I see them fairly frequently. My sister and I are very close and I love my nieces like they were my own. The thought of leaving them makes me sick to my stomach.
We've made really amazing friends here too. Some are the kind of friends you know that only come along once or twice in a lifetime.
Oh, and the weather. The lovely, lovely, sunny weather. As a Californian, born and raised, the adjustment to the cold and rainy weather in Portland is going to be a huge adjustment for me.
But there is so much to look forward to as well. Leif's entire family lives within a forty minute drive of Downtown Portland.
It looks like two of our best friends -another set that only comes along once or twice in a lifetime- are coming home to Portland from The Netherlands the same time we are moving there. Which, I admit, I cried a little out of excitement at the thought of being able to live near them again and being able to watch our kids grow up together (no pressure Natalie but you better be coming home...lol).
We will finally be able to buy our own home. Maybe, just maybe, my dream of owning a big chunk of property with a renovated barn and lots of room for guests will come true while we live there.
And, of course, Portland is just about the most awesome city I've ever been to (Barcelona a close second). So there is that too.
You'll have to excuse me if over the next three months I get a little weepy around here while we prepare to move. I can't help it. I'm gonna miss Los Angeles.
P.S. Also, if you know of any tricks to make a move to another state easier I'd love to hear them.








WOW!!! Congrats on the move, and on your work decision! Portland is just the dopest place around. I am jealous, but am so going to meet you for coffee when we take our next trip out there!
ReplyDeleteBittersweet, I am sure, but the right thing. Good for you guys.
xo
Yes! Mary Beth, I would love to meet and have coffee.
DeleteWow. That's basically my dream to live there...we love nature.
ReplyDeleteI'm from Los Angeles and moved to Chicago 2 years ago for my husband's job. Had Andrew stillborn and just had our second son (born a midwesterner... weird) 2 months ago.
We seriously have dreams of retiring in Oregon. It's already in our plans. I just love the Pacific Northwest. I hope you enjoy it, too! One positive thing is that that food is just as good in the North as it is in LA. Lot's of organic, farmer's markets, whole foods. Chicago is practically the opposite...
So true about the food in Portland. I'm going to sound like a glutton but any city I live in must have good food.
DeleteCongratulations on the move and the work thing! It is incredibly strange to be reading this post, because this week (sssshhhh) Sam and I have been talking incessantly about moving to Oregon. Southern Oregon that is. But I too get weepy and frightened thinking about leaving my sister and kids, and my parents...but then again, we get one life and one family and it would be lovely to be in a place where everything is magical and moss-covered and hiking is part of the day. With love.
ReplyDeleteThanks Angie. Southern Oregon is beautiful too. I hope one day you can make it out there.
DeleteThat's a big move, congrats! And may I be the first Oregonian to welcome you? Born and raised in this great state, I love it. We live in Salem, but just spent the weekend in Portland. It's a big city with a small town feel and I absolutely love it. I'm so excited for you, but I know these next few months of transition will be hard too. Thinking of you guys as you pack and prepare to move.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the warm welcome, Angela. Leif is originally from Salem. I've never been but he promises to show me around once we move.
DeleteIs the top pic part of Griffith Observatory? I love that place.
ReplyDeleteI relocated from San Diego to Orange County (I live in Pleasantville--not really, but I call it that) a little over a year ago, and I'm still getting used to the area and missing SD. I don't know much about LA, but I've been to the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood Bowl for shows (awesome). My husband is a native Californian like you; however, I'm from Colorado and I have to admit I have a love/hate relationship with southern California. So many things to love about this place (the beach!)....and there are things that I have a hard time with, too.
I've never been to Portland, but it looks like heaven. So lush, verdant. On a regular basis--every couple of months or so--I feel parched due to the aridness here and start to crave green, watery places. Oregon sounds lovely to me right now.
Even when relocating is done for positive reasons, I know it can be very stressful and difficult. I have one word of advice about moving: Movers! I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family and that you experience as little stress as possible. And that you are able to realize your dream of owning land--which is so hard to do in southern California. (I'm not sure my husband and I will EVER be able to afford a place in OC.)
Anyway, best of luck to you, and I look forward to seeing more beautiful photos of Oregon! xo
It is Griffith Observatory- one of the best views in Los Angeles. Transitioning from San Diego to Orange County must have been difficult. San Diego is pretty awesome. I hear ya about the movers. We hired them for our last move and it made life so much easier. We will for sure be using them this time.
DeleteI'm a bit jealous. Portland is a very special place.
ReplyDeleteI hope that the move is smooth and that the city welcomes you with open arms (And roses! And beautiful gardens! And Powell's!)
Thanks Erica.
DeleteAs a fifth generation Oregonian (unfortunately I don't currently live there...) I say Welcome! Portland is amazing, beautiful of course but with all the benefits of being a big city and yet still accessible. All the rain is worth it for the lush green and those days when you come around a corner looking east and discover that the mountain is out and the incredible summers!
ReplyDeleteA nice airport too makes for an easy (well, as easy as it gets with little ones) plane ride to visit your family for love and sunshine in the winter!
Good luck!
I'm really hoping you're right about the rain being worth it. I am pretty scared about it. I do love the Portland Airport. It is the exact opposite of LAX- clean, peaceful, orderly. I know I will be using the airport a lot to visit my family.
DeletePortland sounds awesome. Congrats on the move. The land and barn sound great too. We've been talking about moving to the country more these days. We've always talked/dreamed about it but now since Liam died we're thinking about what the heck we're doing with our life and trying to make some of our dreams come true.
ReplyDeleteMoving is hard work. I know its bittersweet but I hope it goes smoothly. And I can't wait for your photos of Oregon :) xx
Tash, I hope you can make that dream come true. You deserve it so much.
DeleteI have a love hate relationship with this post.
ReplyDelete:)
:(
Me too.
DeleteOh wow - big move! I've only ever been in transit through LAX, and haven't ever been to Portland, so I can't say much about either. But I have moved from Melbourne to Sydney and back - the second move being with partner, stepkids, pets, and big baby bump about 9 days before the car accident that killed Z. Having lived through baby loss plus relocation, I think you were really wise to delay your move in the aftermath of losing George. I think it takes a huge amount of energy to create links with a new city (and even to recreate links with your hometown city, if you've spent 8 years living elsewhere) and acute grief robs you of that energy. As for practical tips on moving interstate - doing a "reconnaisance" visit a month or so before to sort out accommodation, schools etc was really helpful. Hope it all goes well xxh
ReplyDeleteYou know I think that had we moved to Oregon right away I don't know that I would have been able to make an honest go of it because you are right- moving takes so much energy and grief completely robs you of any. Thank you for the practical tip, it is very sound advice.
DeleteI don't know much about Portland, but I loved Barcelona so I'm sure I'd love Portland, too. I known you've become so close to the Jackson crew, and it will be hard to leave them, but new adventures and friends await, plus I'm sure they'll travel to visit you, and vice versa.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with it all. I'm so set in my ways here in Melbourne, I don't know how I'd ever leave.
xo
We will visit, and they'd better visit.
DeleteAnd we'll visit Melbourne next time we're in Sydney. :)
New adventures! I hope so. We do love us the Jackson family. We will still see them though, I know that for sure.
DeleteYou're right. Portland is an awesome city. So is L.A. I understand why you're torn.
ReplyDeleteWeather, too - sometimes I want Portland, sometimes SoCal...so I live in Missouri. You should consider it. :) (Just kidding. Not trying to mess with your plans even more.)
And as far as the friends, I wish you could be all places, all times. I hate the thought of you living not-so-near the Jack@Randoms. I really do hate that.
Is it okay to do a little dance when I hear that you've given notice? But you may be going to the same kind of job...? (I don't remember if you mentioned that in the post.) Of course, I realize that your current position had +/-, and that a new one won't be "perfect" either.
Waaa, and feeling a little tearful about the One Year Lease. I knew it couldn't last forever, but it seemed so cozy. Hope you are packing the squirrels? Your new place will be a new adventure. {Funny...maybe you don't like your current domicile all that much...I guess I don't know. It always looks so fetching in pictures. Will you miss it?}
Random musings, as typical. My husband is going to have to keep track. No longer quoting Brianna in L.A. Soon to be Brianna in Portland. :)
xo you much, CiM
P.S. Lame? I bought a cool black jacket a few weeks back because of the label: CLIO. Yes, I did. And every time I see it in the closet, I smile. Your daughter is way cooler than the jacket.
Yeah, sadly I'll be doing the same thing -in fact full time instead of only part time- but I'll be doing it in fresher air. That's something.
DeleteThe squirrels will be coming with. I'm looking forward to decorating a new place. That's one of the funnest parts.
Very cute about the jacket. That makes me smile and I definitely needed that this week.
Thank you as always CiM, you are wonderful.
We (your big sis, nieces, bro-in-law) will miss you guys very much. I realize, however, that this is a wonderful opportunity to live somewhere wonderful. We stand behind your decision 100%.
ReplyDeleteI can't help crying everytime I think about it though. (which I try not to do!).
I'm going to miss you guys so much. So sad. So sad. I love you.
DeleteBig news, Brinanna! Congrats on the quitting and the moving, although I'm sure it will be hard to leave your current home. xx
ReplyDeletewell, i tried to comment on this post last week, but the blogger gods didn't work in my favor... i think it was something like "it's sad to leave friends and family. really sad. BUT hopefully your LA friends will visit you in portland- maybe get snowed in some christmas. that makes for a pretty awesome visit:) AND it's important to have friends down in LA, because who will you stay with when you first take clio to disneyland? and, who will take you out for mexican and some sun action at the beach when you are downright soggy and fly south searching for a little heat?"
ReplyDeleteanyway, moving away isn't easy and it's ok to be scared. the move to portland was difficult for us in many ways, and the move here was astounding. the loneliest i've ever been. part of the package, i suppose. both moves made our lives better. made us better.
let's just think up a good motto about the hansons and the hewitts wreaking havoc on p-town. we need superhero personas...
ps. im bringing a big, wooden, dutch wagon home with room in it for at least 2 kids. it's very heavy, but we can take turns pulling.
let's just think up a good motto about the hansons and the hewitts wreaking havoc on p-town. we need superhero personas...
Deleteps. im bringing a big, wooden, dutch wagon home with room in it for at least 2 kids. it's very heavy, but we can take turns pulling.
YES and YES!