Thursday, April 19, 2012

sad book

While in Kauai (before the flooding) Leif and I stumbled upon a used book sale at the local public library.  We nabbed about ten books for Clio, which helped us get through the next four trapped days without losing our minds.  Most of the books we grabbed we did solely based on the cover art because it was crazy crowded and Clio was getting fussy.  This one was a surprise.









Obviously it is too old and too heavy to read to Clio anytime soon.  I think one day it will be a good tool to use to explain to her about her brother and how sometimes her mom and dad feel sad.  

*I did a little research and learned that Michael Rosen's 18 year old son died from bacterial meningitis.  I recognize so much of my own grief in this book.  Death is death and sad is sad.  You know, what I mean?


Michael Rosen's Sad Book

18 comments:

  1. I'll be buying this book for B as well. What a shock to read that book, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, that is crazy fitting. It looks like you got a nice old copy too. The art is just stunning too. I'll be on the look out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky for me, it was on paperbackswap.com. Already ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that is just....wow. I wasn't expecting a children's book to make me cry. But I don't have tears in my eyes because it makes me sad. I'm just so deeply relieved that there's a book like that out there.

    "This is me being sad. Maybe you think I'm happy in this picture. Really I'm sad but pretending I'm happy. I'm doing that because I think people won't like me if I look sad."

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book looks beautiful. And sad.

    A friend gave me a book called "Tear Soup" that is about the grieving process. It's probably 2nd-4th grade reading level, but a real tearjerker for me when I look at it. I think it's another great source for starting a conversation about sadness and the ongoing process of making tear soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how beautiful. And sad. I might look in to buying a copy as well. Co-incidentally, we bought books in Kauai as well. Must be the place for it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this. I connected with the few pages that you posted, I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy too. "Sometimes sad is very big. It's everywhere. All over me." Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where my head is:

    wishing pretty hard that copies of that book were floating down from the sky {like WWII leaflets from allied bombers}

    and everyone in America {at least - but everywhere else, while I'm dreaming}

    had to not only read,

    but understand.

    Good, good, grief.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing book. I can't put my hands on it now but the illustrations look similar to those in a book called Courage by Bernard Waber--the guy who wrote Lyle, Lyle Crocodile? anyway, that's a great book too. Thanks for sharing this. I will be finding it, too.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely thought it was going to be one of those children's books that is glib, but this is just it. It nails it. We are not bad, just sad. Going to find one of my own...thank you. It is always nice to see a book, movie, song that seems to describe you. I want to mail them off to everyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That got me all choked up. I wish other people didn't know this crushing grief and yet it's so nice to seE it reflected back at me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have come back to reread this book several times. I am debating about getting this for my 8 year old. It is heavy but in a kid friendly way, I think. After we lost Braedon, I was anxious to read. My husband went out shopping for me. I am the avid reader in my house along with my oldest son. The husband, not so much. Of course he picked books based on cover image and title. He brought me home a stack of books to read. Out of those books, 3 of them dealt with the loss of a child. He had no clue and it still boggles my mind that he found those books. Sometimes a good read helps to make sense of what we are feeling. Just words on paper, but words that touch the soul.

    This I love, "Sometimes I don't want to talk about it. Not to anyone. No one. No one at all". Yep I feel that way quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't believe I somehow missed this post! I love this book. I bought a copy for Jessica a couple of years ago although she is obviously still far too young for it. Have you read 'Carrying the Elephant?' It's a series of poems, also by Michael Rosen, some of which are also about his son, Eddie's death. I grew up with Michael Rosen's poems, many of which were about Eddie, Eddie and the cornflakes was one of my favourites. So amazing to think that little boy grew into a young man of 18 and so sad to think that he died just on the cusp of adulthood.

    There is a poem that revolves one of Michael Rosen's neighbours saying to him, 'rather you than me,' about Eddie's death. That one stays with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought this book this morning. When we read, Brianna, I will always think of you.

    I want my kids to be able to speak about sad. I want them to know it is part of life, and not a part to be shunned.

    Thank you, and love,

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had known of this book in the immediate aftermath of Micah's death, it would have been perfect for L. Might still see if I can scrounge up a used copy somewhere and maybe the book of poetry Catherine referenced, too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm new to your blog. My friend Josh Jackson recommended it when we lost our daughter 4 months ago, but I just made my way over. Thanks for posting this piece. I think that book is beautiful.
    -Brie

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I stumbled upon this blog and particular post. Children's book or not, it so clearly illustrates in both words and pictures what it feels like to lose a child.

    ReplyDelete