Wednesday, September 8, 2010

.the gutter.


The only work of Oscar Wilde I've ever read is The Importance of Being Earnest, though The Picture of Dorian Gray and An Ideal Husband are on my mind's list of books (or plays) that I one day want to get around to reading.  But a couple of months ago I found the quote above, attributed to one of the characters in Lady Windermere's Fan, and my interest in the eccentric author piqued.  

The quote, along with quote below from The Little Prince, has since become my mantra, of sorts.  It is what I refer back to in my mind when I feel overwhelmed by how much I wish things had turned out differently for George.



For whatever reason I think we all need something to inspire ourselves; to comfort ourselves.  These two quotes do that for me.  

1 comment:

  1. The Oscar Wilde quote is fantastic. Could I totally mooch off of your mantra and make it my own as well?

    The second quote is one that was on a lovely little sympathy card given to us and I thought it was so sweet.

    You've done well in choosing good mantras my friend.

    ReplyDelete