Thursday, March 24, 2011

seven days

This time last year my baby was still alive and each kick I felt was breaking fragments of my heart away, knowing that any one of them might be the last.

Sometimes I am left stock-still by the shock of it all.  I went into the hospital to give birth knowing that my son would die and I would be going home without him.  Yet I still went!  How did I not run the other way, screw my health, and just take off running in the other direction? How is it even possible that it all happened?  How does anyone go to the hospital very pregnant and leave with an empty belly and no baby?

Now I have an urn and three terrible quality photographs for that horrible experience.

I'm feeling very alone these days.  I love my family and friends and am especially appreciative of the ones who have been reaching out recently to see if I'm ok -I'm not really- but I want someone who knows how I am because they've been where I am.  But there is no one I know in my every day life.

I want to take the next week off of work, close my eyes and try to remember every moment of that last week.  As hard as it was, I still had him with me and I would rather it be hard like it was then, than hard like it is now.

5 comments:

  1. You and George and his impending anniversary have been on my mind a lot lately. Know that I am holding you up, even from way over here, and thinking of and praying for you often. Sending so much love and support your way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) I am sorry things weren't different, Brianna. The lead-up to the first anniversary i especially brutal, but please know that you are being held and thought of, as is George. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brianna... my heart aches for you.. I wish we lived closer to one another... I truly hope you know that you and George are in my heart. So many things are so unexplainable in this life after losing a child. it is something known only to a bereaved parent, and I don't know any one of us who doesn't scream out at the injustice of it all.
    Sending you love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're in my heart and my thoughts so much right now, Brianna. I too wish we lived closer so that we could look to one another for in-person understanding.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, and sweet George today and especially tomorrow. Having lived those wonderful/terrible last days with my own son, I do understand, and I wish I were closer so we could remember our babies together. Love, Keely

    ReplyDelete