Wednesday, March 2, 2011

what comes next is the crazy

We went back to the perinatologist's office again for the first time since George died.  The last time we were there was the day before he was born.  The doctor was evaluating my condition since they were concerned that I was developing HELLP syndrome.  He performed another -what turned out to be the last- ultrasound in order to see how George was doing (even though we knew it was only a matter of days before he would most likely die).  I couldn't even look at it.  Leif did though.  He watched our son on that screen- moving and alive.  But I couldn't look and now I often feel the pangs of regret about that.  The me on this side of his death wants to scream at the me on the other side, "You stupid idiot!  This is all you have!  Look.  See him while he is still alive!!!"  I feel ashamed that I didn't have the emotional reserve to see him one last time like that.  

I'm four months -and some miscellaneous days- pregnant.  Everything is fine with this baby so far.

But last night I had my first, and I am sure not the last, breakdown of this pregnancy.  I sat on the couch and cried and sobbed on Leif's lap before moving to the bed and doing the same there until I fell asleep.  It has been awhile since I have cried myself to sleep and I woke up this morning with puffy bags under my eyes.  I recognize you, I thought about the woman I saw in the mirror.  Last night I realized that part of me, the insane part of me, was thinking that somehow we were being given a do-over.  Same doctor's office we were first given his diagnosis.  Same room.  Same sonographer.  Different outcome.

But this baby is not George.

George is dead.  Dead.  Dead.  Dead.  I am never going to see or hold him again.

I have to live the rest of my life without ever knowing him.

Last night the envy for all women who got to take home their children was stronger than I have ever before felt.  I wanted to scream that it wasn't fair and throw shit around the room.  Instead I just slobbered it into Leif's flannel shirt.

I am grateful for this baby.  I am grateful that this baby is alive and well so far -fingers crossed- but my desire to have George back is still so palpable it scares me.  What kind of mother will I be when all I can think about is the child who isn't even here?

8 comments:

  1. I think the more appropriate question is: What kind of mother would you be if this new baby was an instant fix and you never thought about George again?

    You're not that kind of mother. You're a good one. To George and to the new baby too. It will be so easy for you to love them both. Love is easy. It's grief that's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hugs)))!!
    Thinking about George all the time does not make you less of a mother to this new child, this new sibling, my sweet mama. It is just your heart tearing wide open to accommodate all these incredible love, and grief. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna, none of this is crazy. Of course you think of George, of course, you are his mother! You did know him, do know him, and that is why you think of him. It will take time for you to get to that same place with this new baby, but it will come. As Brooke said, it will be so easy to love them both.

    Sending you big hugs, thinking of you and George and this new little one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a bit of crazy is par for the BLM - next pregnancy course. But still, distressing when it happens. It's understandable that visiting the same doctor would trigger all those memories and the feelings that go with them. I remember that trying to look away - as though not looking would stop the bad news from happening. It is sad and ineffective, but not stupid.

    And I think Brooke is right - you will be an amazing mother, both to George and to this new little one. Being a human being and being open to feeling grief as well as excitement is important in parenting.

    Sending lots of love and good wishes xxxxh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you Brianna.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a crazy rollercoaster being pregnant again. Hopes and fears and all kinds of crazy but I'm so excited for you. Don't worry there is room enough in your heart for all your babies xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate all your reassurances. I need them. I am so freaked out. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just found your blog after following your comment from the newest post on Glow (I have also responded to it). I am so, so sorry for the loss of your precious George. I love that name.
    I look forward to following your story from here. Wishing you so much love and luck for this new and very special pregnancy.
    Sally
    xo

    ReplyDelete