I shrugged, A very long time.
He told me that he had been holding it up for so long yet he had never seen it or, if he had, he could no longer remember what it had looked like.
He sighed a great deep sigh that only old Turtle could sigh.
Are you tired, Old Turtle? I asked.
Sometimes, was his reply. But most times I just wish I could see and feel things as I once did. Old eyes and a tired back...time corrodes us all. Nothing lasts forever.
I nodded my head in agreement and Old Turtle squinted at me through aged yellow eyes.
Everyone carries a world on their back, Short Timer, he said to me. In that, we are all the same.
....
I awake in the morning and it is so still. The tide of my breath and the rhythm of my heart against a background of silence makes me feel a million miles away. A million miles away and still tethered to a single point in time.
I remember that the world still spins and my tapestry is still being spun in shades of golds and blues and grays on an invisible loom. But a new color is being spun too -added to the golds and blues and grays- and it has already begun to change the landscape. I touch my belly and briefly wonder about the possibility beating away there. A waver of hope, too intimidating to contemplate.
Stay. Please stay with us this time.
My mind shifts.
I arch my back. I feel the grind of the weight of my world on my spine. Still there, I think. Always there.
And another day begins.
....


Beautifully written post. And what an amazing dream. That you could remember it so well too, is pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteEl Prima (who is good at dream interpretation) might say that you're getting in touch with your older wiser self - wearied by the world but still curious about it.
We're whispering 'stay, stay' from over here as well.
This is lovely. Especially your waver of hope.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful post, Brianna. You know all my hopes and wishes and prayers are for good things for you and the little one. Been on my mind a lot lately, thinking of you and sending love. xx
ReplyDeleteThat is just beautiful Brianna. I am wishing you every desire of your heart.
ReplyDeleteWhat a strange and amazing dream. I like the Old Turtle's turn of phrase, Short Timer. I often wonder how different humans would be if our lives were longer and we could see things set against a different scale.
ReplyDeleteI ask the same thing of this baby of mine too. Just to please stay this time.
Thinking of you xo
Beautiful. xoxo
ReplyDeleteBrianna, you have developed quite a moving talent for writing. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us. ...can I share the dream portion of this post? As to the latter half, our hopes and prayers are with you. :)
ReplyDeleteThank guys. I appreciate you all coming here and reading my little corner of the internet.
ReplyDelete