Saturday, July 16, 2011

the creep


Sleep is an allusive beast these days.  

Yes, it is partly because at nearly thirty-six weeks pregnant I am experiencing multiple awakenings to use the bathroom, sore shoulders, and a stiff neck.  But those are small items; nothing to complain about.  

I've been waking up, usually for good, around four each morning.  I try to force myself back to sleep.  I imagine bargaining with a little pipe-smoking man who lives inside the control deck of my brain.  Flip that switch, the blue one by your right hand, back to sleep mode and I promise I will go for a walk and let you operate the exercise panel after I get home from work tonight.  But after nearly 32 years he, unfortunately, knows me better than to accept my bargains, especially when it involves exercise. So I am left to stare at the spinning ceiling fan until my blood sugar drops low enough that it forces me to accept defeat and get out of bed.

I know it is because of The Creep.  That familiar fog of anxiety that starts rolling in over the hills.  It is slow and insidious but I've come to recognize it in its earliest moments.  It settles over everything, even though I know it has origins from a distinct place.  

This morning The Creep woke me up again at four.  I laid there thinking about an article I read yesterday about something particularly sad and random (which I won't go into specifics about because of just how sad and random it actually was) that happened about, I don't know, ten miles from our house.  It was something so completely unexpected that there wasn't anything really for the people it affected to have done in order to prevent it from happening.  A perfect storm of events.  A series of dominoes, that led them to be in the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time.

Life is full of bear traps.

I am scared for this little girl I am carrying.  I thought it was a dangerous existence inside of my womb but the world outside is so much more treacherous.  The sheer randomness of shit that happens makes even the mundane seem to hold so much peril.  Nothing seems safe to me anymore.  How do you protect someone from something no one could have foreseen coming in the first place?

Maybe all this anxiety about not being able to protect my daughter stems from what happened with George. No matter what we did for him we couldn't protect him.  We couldn't save him.  We never even saw coming the trap that swallowed him up.  Life went completely out of our control and that completely fucks with your mind.

Or maybe all this anxiety is just about being a parent, regardless of whether it is in the context of suffering a traumatic loss or not.  I think about my own childhood and the anxiety my father had about my safety and that of my sister.  He worried about us with a consistency of an olympic athlete in training.  I think he still does.

Maybe I'm not the only soon-to-be parent or seasoned parent staring at the spinning blades of the ceiling fan at four in the morning wondering what possible dangers to their children are lurking out in the world.

Maybe The Creep is universal. 


10 comments:

  1. I am intimately familiar with this Creep. When I was pregnant with O I don't think I slept at all--I know for sure I was awake more than I was asleep. And when I stop to think about all the things that could potentially go wrong in life, it makes me dizzy.

    My husband and I have had conversations about our respective craziness when it comes to death and imagining catastrophe. You are most definitely not alone.

    Hoping the next few weeks are easy and sleep-filled for you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am familiar with this Creep. 4 am is usually when I wake up as well. Sometimes I make it all the way to 5, but lately it's been 4 or even 3. I worry constantly about this babe's birth, I haven't begun to tap the surface of what may happen outside the womb. It is a scary world, no doubt, and I do think every parent fears for their child(ren).

    You are so close to meeting your baby. Thinking of you and hoping you find sleep as well as some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have to smile at your description of the little pipe-smoking man, so eager to operate the exercise panel.

    I've certainly had The Creep ever since the twins were born. Most of their problems stemmed from being thrust into the world outside of the womb too soon and, yes, that world is a very scary place. And, too often, you'll never see it coming, that great scary toothy bear trap that's out there, waiting to clamp itself to your leg. Sigh.

    I try to put these things from my mind because, the reality is, that I cannot protect my children. And I find that unbearable to think about too deeply. But I can love them so I try to scare The Creep away with that. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

    I suspect that my children may one day describe me as you describe your own father.

    Wishing you peace (and better sleep) over these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe I'm not the only soon-to-be parent or seasoned parent staring at the spinning blades of the ceiling fan at four in the morning wondering what possible dangers to their children are lurking out in the world."

    You're not alone. You're definitely not alone. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reassuring comments. It is helpful to know that I'm not alone in this anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely not alone, Brianna. And I'm with Catherine-- I've been forced to face the fact that there are just some things I can't control, no matter what I do. Some of my thoughtful friends have suggested that the reason I keep going back over and over what happened to Hudson in my brain, the reason I remain convinced that had we done this or that differently, she would still be here, is because as hard as it is to face that something I did or didn't do might have saved her life, it is even harder to face the possibility that no matter what I did, I COULDN'T save her life. For a mother to realize in the hardest way, as you have, that sometimes there are just things we can't control, is one of the most difficult realizations there is. Every time I take Jackson to the grocery store or someone touches his cheek or his hand, I imagine these invisible bacteria crawling onto his skin and making him fatally ill. Hopefully I won't do this forever, but that's what I'm thinking about when I stare at the ceiling fan at 4AM. So you are definitely not alone, friend.

    Thinking of you and looking forward to hearing the news of a healthy baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely universal.. no matter what age they are we worry about and fret over the safety of our children's lives. Tis' the way of a parent...
    sending you love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate The Creep, and I hope the anxiety isn't overwhelming you. It's such a risk, to become a parent. But everything worth doing is risky, right? I repeat that cliche so often, I'm almost convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brianna. Just saw this and I think I know which incredibly sad and random thing you're talking about. (Artwalk?) It hit me really hard, too. Intellectually I recognize that terrible things happen out there all the time, but this one was particularly difficult. It was just so awful and heartbreaking and totally, completely unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill, yes it was totally that! I think we are tuned in to these kind of things, more so than most people who just "intellectually" know how sad these things are.

    ReplyDelete