Wednesday, July 6, 2011

we're actually getting stuff done

The Nursery Edition.

When we found out I was pregnant with a boy the first time around one of the first things I did was figure out how I wanted his nursery to look like.  It was all part of the expectation that our future was going to be exactly as I planned it would be.  This time around it has been a struggle for me to believe that we would even need a room for our baby because it was hard to believe we would even have a baby to bring home.  I still have my doubts but as we creep closer to her due date I've made the effort to start investing in her future as much as I did with her brother.

This time I went with something that, sans the crib, could be adequate for a guest as well.

We bought a Jenny Lind style crib through Overstock, payed 3 dollars in shipping, and it literally came two days later.  Unfortunately Leif was in New York all last week (sad face) so we, and by "we" I mean "he," assembled her crib on Sunday.



Leif decided to dress for the occasion.   Notice the watermelon sitting on the counter.  That is watermelon number two for this week.  We realized that one a week was not cutting it so this time we bought two.  Number one is 3/4 gone already and it is Tuesday.  At least it is mostly water, right?




The cabinet and the mirror we thrifted and fixed up (I'm kind of a thrift store junkie) but the mirror isn't staying because I think it needs something smaller.  The clothes in the cabinet are the full extent of the clothes that we have for her at this point.  The top shelf is still occupied by George's memory box and some other item's of his that are special to us.  Not sure where they are going to go at this point... 




The curtains were about as girly as I could go in this room, it does have pink in it though!  I'm just not a super girly person.  As a kid I was more interested in catching lizards than playing dress up.


The rocking-chair and the brass lamp were thrifted as well.  Initially both of these items were going to live in the living room but I think they look better in the baby's room.   Plus I recently thrifted an ottoman that I recovered with Leif's help and it now lives in the living room in place of the rocker.

I cut up some fabric that coordinates with the curtains and used embroidery hoops as frames, that is what is sitting on the chair in this photograph. They are super light-weight and so I think they will go up behind the crib so that if there ever is an earthquake (and living in Los Angeles that is a real concern) and they fall they won't hurt the baby.  



Crib, all assembled along with the fabric I used for the hoops.  Still need a mattress and about a dozen other things but we're plodding along. Besides, what does a baby really need other than a carseat, a place to sleep, diapers, and clothes?


Best part of the room; Husband, content with a job well done.

4 comments:

  1. Room looks lovely. I wanted to avoid going too girly myself (even though I was definitely the girl who liked playing dress up). I'm inspired by your thrift store finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so lovely! Leif did a great job on the crib and you have pulled together some great finds! Well done mamma! Where did you find the mobile!? Precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. The mobile comes from etsy seller tealandgold. It is a little bit of George in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this?! I love it. Your little girl is going to have an extremely beautiful room and an especially wonderful mobile. Strangely J's room has no pink at all - she's definitely a more catching lizards kind of a gal!

    And you can NEVER eat too many watermelons x

    ReplyDelete