I close my eyes and whisper his name so that only I can hear it.
George.
The wind stirs and it is him, waking up to listen to my voice and touch my face.
I miss you, my love.
Between my fingers the silk of a petal and a subtle fragrance of something clean and sweet; the touch of his face and the scent of his skin.
I'm sorry I couldn't save you. Can you forgive me?
From a distance comes the sound of a stream over stones and I hear his breathing, rhythmic and soothing.
I hope you felt how much you were loved.
I open my eyes.
It is just the wind and the flowers and the water. But for the briefest of moments it was my son and for that instant I was whole again.
...
I whisper his name so that only I can hear it.
George.

If it is even possible to make the missing sharper, harder, it seems a new baby in the house does that. There is a living, moving, loving, blinking, eating, sleeping reminder of the person who is *not* there; as if any reminder was needed.
ReplyDeleteI really hate it when people assume that a new baby means not missing other babies - just as real - who are never forgotten.
George, you are not forgotten. You are missed. Your sister is a little sweetheart of a darling girl - and she makes you even more missed.
Cathy in Missouri
Thank you Cathy. Your words are so very touching.
ReplyDeleteThat was truly lovely and pulls at my heart. Oh George why did you have to die? I think the same thing...why couldn't I save Camille, can she ever forgive me. I remember telling her over and over, "I am so sorry, I am just so sorry" I am so glad you can feel him even for a moment. I am glad you have love, a new baby, I wish you had George too.
ReplyDeletexxoo
I have to think that he hears you.. Cathy said it all so well.. he is missed and loved alongside his sister.
ReplyDeleteLove to you as well mamma.....
These are such beautiful words Bree. We are missing George too these days, wishing he was here, wishing we could know each other and have our babies.
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful and so full of love. I often ask for forgiveness too. Remembering your dear son, George xo
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful. Missing your George with you. Most days I still can't believe that they're really gone, you know?
ReplyDeletexo
As always, remembering George right alongside you. xx
ReplyDeleteThis was beautiful. Missing George.
ReplyDeletexo