I make an attempt to weave the two together; the time in between and the now. A need to make them make sense together, somehow, to learn to live in both at once. My daughter in Chronos. My son in Kairos. I hold his pictures and trace his face and at the same time I feel my daughter stretching her life against my breast. The two seem so very far apart and I wonder how it is ever possible to bring them together, my two children, without having to exclude one or the other.
One so undeniably alive and present. The other so undeniably dead and missing.
I haven't figured this all out; how to be a good parent to my living child while simultaneously attempting to keep the memory of my dead one from also dying. Sometimes the thought crosses my mind that I should do just that; let his memory die and go into the same oblivion that he did. It would be easier to forget and to let the spinning of the world propel me with its forward momentum. I look at my daughter and often feel the compulsion to clip her brother's name from my tongue when it hangs there, waiting to be said. As if still longing for him somehow detracts from the love I have for her. Can I really give all my love to this child wiggling in my lap while sometimes still wanting to live in that in between time when her brother was still alive. Twenty-four minutes almost 18 months in my past.
There are still many times when I am in the shower when I cry out for him. I beg and plead to have him back. For just a day. For just an hour. To get to know him in the same way I know his sister. Not as the sick and dying baby in the sterile operating room or as the cold and still one in the recovery room but as the pink and living baby I hold in my arms now. A glimpse of what he could have been had things only turned out differently. I cry out that I want to feed him, to bathe him, to feel him against my skin.
But I keep my cries to myself, mostly. I fear judgment. I've always feared judgment from people who maybe think I am hanging on too much or that I need to let go of the past. I fear people thinking that I am incapable of mothering this living child because I can't tear myself away from the dead one. I fear people thinking to themselves, "Isn't she over this by now? He wasn't even a real baby yet." I fear people making a judgment that I must be depressed simply because I still miss my son when in actuality I am very grateful for the life I have with my husband and daughter. As I said in my last post, they are my light and I know how very fortunate I am to have them lighting up my world.
The fear of judgment isn't totally unfounded as I have come to learn. I hear the judgment in subtle tones from people we know. It is often so subtle I don't think those from which it comes even would realize it themselves.
"Now that Clio is here you can move on from the pain of losing George."
I also hear it in the silence. His name is hardly ever uttered. I cannot recall the last time someone, other than baby loss parents, asked us how we were dealing with our grief over George since Clio arrived. Her arrival and his absence are intwined for us in ways that other people just rarely acknowledge.
I fear even writing all this here for the possible judgment that some may have.
She has a living child now, why is she still writing about this? She should be grateful for her daughter.
I don't want George's death to overshadow the life of his sister. She is celebrated every moment I am breathing. I love her completely and I recognize how fortunate I am to have her . I take not a single cry or fussy moment for granted. But I also don't want her life to negate the importance of her brother's. How to keep that from happening I am not sure. I guess it is just a work in progress.
One so undeniably alive and present. The other so undeniably dead and missing.
I haven't figured this all out; how to be a good parent to my living child while simultaneously attempting to keep the memory of my dead one from also dying. Sometimes the thought crosses my mind that I should do just that; let his memory die and go into the same oblivion that he did. It would be easier to forget and to let the spinning of the world propel me with its forward momentum. I look at my daughter and often feel the compulsion to clip her brother's name from my tongue when it hangs there, waiting to be said. As if still longing for him somehow detracts from the love I have for her. Can I really give all my love to this child wiggling in my lap while sometimes still wanting to live in that in between time when her brother was still alive. Twenty-four minutes almost 18 months in my past.
There are still many times when I am in the shower when I cry out for him. I beg and plead to have him back. For just a day. For just an hour. To get to know him in the same way I know his sister. Not as the sick and dying baby in the sterile operating room or as the cold and still one in the recovery room but as the pink and living baby I hold in my arms now. A glimpse of what he could have been had things only turned out differently. I cry out that I want to feed him, to bathe him, to feel him against my skin.
But I keep my cries to myself, mostly. I fear judgment. I've always feared judgment from people who maybe think I am hanging on too much or that I need to let go of the past. I fear people thinking that I am incapable of mothering this living child because I can't tear myself away from the dead one. I fear people thinking to themselves, "Isn't she over this by now? He wasn't even a real baby yet." I fear people making a judgment that I must be depressed simply because I still miss my son when in actuality I am very grateful for the life I have with my husband and daughter. As I said in my last post, they are my light and I know how very fortunate I am to have them lighting up my world.
The fear of judgment isn't totally unfounded as I have come to learn. I hear the judgment in subtle tones from people we know. It is often so subtle I don't think those from which it comes even would realize it themselves.
"Now that Clio is here you can move on from the pain of losing George."
I also hear it in the silence. His name is hardly ever uttered. I cannot recall the last time someone, other than baby loss parents, asked us how we were dealing with our grief over George since Clio arrived. Her arrival and his absence are intwined for us in ways that other people just rarely acknowledge.
I fear even writing all this here for the possible judgment that some may have.
She has a living child now, why is she still writing about this? She should be grateful for her daughter.
I don't want George's death to overshadow the life of his sister. She is celebrated every moment I am breathing. I love her completely and I recognize how fortunate I am to have her . I take not a single cry or fussy moment for granted. But I also don't want her life to negate the importance of her brother's. How to keep that from happening I am not sure. I guess it is just a work in progress.

If you learn how, we'd all love to know. To live in the past and be very alive in the present. To love both concurrently and provide that attention to both. I truly have no understanding or grasp on how I'll deal with that myself. Not there yet... but hopeful that will be an issue. While unfortunate forever, love abounds.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful words and image.
ReplyDeleteIt is a very difficult process. I think that, even after three years, I haven't got it quite right. One here and one there.
I don't know. What would I know? Really? But I think you can give all your love to Clio whilst still wanting to live in those twenty four minutes. I don't think that detracts from your love for your little girl. Sometimes I think it might even add to it? To my mind and in my experience they are just two very, very separate things.Because my daughters arrived together, I always felt that separateness, very keenly but I don't think it is any less true for siblings born at different time. I certainly don't believe that I love my two living children any less for having had their older sister in my life. If anything, only more. Because I don't think I would have had that absolutely awestruck feeling at their very alive-ness that I feel now, if she hadn't died.
I'm very sorry that you feel judged. It's awful and something I have always felt very keenly. I know you are grateful for your Clio, I also know that you love George and having her doesn't mean that you can 'move on' now. Sometimes I feel that it is only since having R, a baby with no medical needs, the pink, living baby you describe, that I fully appreciate what it was that I lost and what she lost.
So, yes, still a work in progress. But we love them. Your two, my three. I know that we love them. And I know that means that we will, somehow, work this whole thing out. xo
My heart goes out to you. I felt similar things, trying to figure out how to reconcile that I can simultaneously be joyous over my daugher who is with us, and devastated and sad over my sons who are not with us. My joy does not diminish the grief - they are separate and independent and likely will remain so.
ReplyDeleteFor those who judge, shame on them. I think they likely have not walked in these shoes, and just shame on them.
Hugs to you.
Thank you for the thoughtful comments.
ReplyDeleteB: so true. Love abounds and for that I am so, so grateful.
Catherine: yes, I think you are right. Perhaps George's absence adds to the love I have for his sister. Sometimes I just wish for some peace of mind that Clio isn't going to feel overshadowed by her brother. I guess we can only do our best to make sure our children know that we love them each fully and completely.
S: Joy does not diminish grief. Yes, that's what I wanted to say. As for the judgment it only comes sporadically and most of the judgment I feel is probably more so a consequence of my own perception. Still I so often hesitate for fear of what others may think:(
It is most certainly a work in progress. I personally think that your concern over Clio being overshadowed by her brother's death is exactly what will prevent it from ever happening in the first place. She is she and he is he. They are both yours, each with a story of their own. Sending your love...
ReplyDeleteThe silence from others is always so painful. I found it incredibly hard to deal with after the births of my two living children. Especially more recently, when our Juliet arrived the day before what would have been Hope's third birthday.
ReplyDeleteThree years down the track, just like Catherine, I still haven't figured all this stuff out. But I wanted you to know this post rang so true with me.
xo
"Everyone can master grief 'cept he that has it." Shakespeare
ReplyDeleteWhen people say these slighting things, they have very seldom (VERY seldom) lived their own advice out. They're tossing out untested, unbroken words - and they're about as cheap as you'd expect those words to be.
They're simplistic words. They're ignorant words. They don't know your son and they aren't living in your heart.
They may even be well-meant words, but it's like giving exactly the wrong prescription to a patient. Their "comfort words" show they entirely mis-diagnose (and underestimate) the pain you live through.
Clio will have a *better* mother because of George and his life. She'll always have a mother who understands grief and heartache in the midst of joy. She won't have a shallow mother. And in the world we have to fight through, you really need a mother who knows real life. Clio has one of those.
Your thoughts, feelings, and pain are real and true and welcome to be shared.
Cathy in Missouri
Cathy in Missouri you are bang on. So well said....
ReplyDeleteI don't have a whole lot more to add, but I do understand how you're feeling. The silence is so hard, and the unspoken words after having another baby hurt too.
ReplyDeleteSomehow, we just do this, huh? Balance the love for all while only physically holding the ones who are here. And I am sorry you're feeling judged; I feel that way sometimes too. As though I have no right to still be sad because, hey look, I HAD another baby, you know.
I wonder if those who judge would still be so cruel if they took the time to imagine what it would be like if something happened to one of their children--do they think you just stop loving and caring about the child who's gone? I don't get it, but surely they've never imagined what you're, we're, any of us are going through.
OK, sorry if I'm rambling. Love to you and your husband, and the babies all.
xo
I find that in some ways I have become a "insecure/needy" conversationalist. I always think I said the wrong thing, said too much, didn't share enough, acted to cold or too weak or too depressed or too happy, revealed too much pain. This was not me at all before. But now. Now I am always needing people to tell me out right that it's ok. That everything I say and feel is ok. I'm plagued by feelings of judgement that may or may not exist. It's so hard. How did I get to this point? Will I ever get out of it? I'm sure this is why being with you guys - and other babyloss parents - is so uplifting. That fear is lifted, if only for an evening, or an internet moment.
ReplyDeleteLove to you and Leif and both your children.
I don't think I have anything helpful to say, really, except that you're not alone. So much of this sounds so familiar. I remember, vividly, standing in the shower after Dot was born, my eyes and breasts both dripping while I loved my daughter and loved and missed my son.
ReplyDeleteI don't think George's death will overshadow Clio's life. I think you're too aware of what you're feeling to let that happen. I hope so anyway, for you and for me, too.
Sending love to you and Leif, to George and Clio.