Friday, October 21, 2011

off to work i go

What is that word to describe how you feel when you have to do something you really don't want to do?  Oh yeah, shitty... or dreadful, as in, full of dread.  Yes, I am feeling shitty and pretty full of dread right about now because come Monday morning I am back at work.

I don't think I would feel quite the way I do if I was going back to a job that I actually loved but that is most certainly not the case.  It was a huge and very costly mistake going into the profession I did.  I thought even if I didn't love what I was doing I would have great job security and I would at least kind of like it.  But aside from talking with my patients there isn't a single aspect of medicine that I like.  None.  How sad is that?  It isn't as if I can do something different at this point either.  My student loans are just too much to chuck what I am doing and go do something that would make me happy.  I simply make too much money doing this to give it up at this point.  If my soul wasn't tethered to Sallie Mae I would gladly never write another prescription in my life.

I guess I just have to look on the bright side of all this.  My coworkers are really great, I'll only be working three days a week, and, most importantly, we found day care for Clio that we feel confident in.  That has always been my biggest concern when it comes to going back to work; who will be taking care of Clio.  Ideally she would be with her grandparents but neither set lives close enough to make that possible so we had to settle on finding a day care to place her in.  Luckily, we did find someone that really like and trust, which has helped somewhat with the anxiety of leaving her.

Still, the thought of leaving Clio with a stranger, even one we like, three days a week while I spend twelve hours a day working a job that I don't care for is excruciating.  My heart literally feels like a lead brick in my chest.  If it is possible to preemptively miss someone then I am preemptively missing her.  Even when she is fussing and I haven't had an adult conversation all day I still am so happy to just be near her.  I am so very in love with her and so, so grateful that she is alive and thriving.   I cannot get enough of her.

Everyday she is learning something new and it kills me to think that someone else is going to see new things she does before me.  She is MINE -at least until she is old enough to be her own- and I want to be the one to take care of her.  But it just isn't possible and...now I've made myself cry.   

Already she is smiling so much and she is getting really close to being able to laugh.  Just two days ago she started to purposefully grasp for things on her play gym.  One day her arms were flailing around and literally the next day she was trying to grab for things.  She isn't very good at it yet but it is exciting to watch her develop new skills.  I just can't believe how much information is processed in that little, big head of hers every day.  She's amazing to me.

Any words of advice on how to make the transition from being at home with her everyday to going back to work easier (both for her and for me) is greatly appreciated because right now I feel pretty shitty and pretty dreadful.








11 comments:

  1. "If it is possible to preemptively miss someone then I am preemptively missing her."

    "I just can't believe how much information is processed in that little, big head of hers every day."

    A dream: maybe someday you can quit medicine (ugh!) and stay home with Clio...and write full time! I vote yes!

    So sorry that life and loans and loss are what they are. Not what we want. At all.

    Clio, you're a darling. George, you are missed.

    Cathy in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, had that lead brick in my chest. I left my 1st born at daycare for a few months, and just could not continue it with my second. I quit my job and am doing home daycare. I get to see my boys, send one off to school and watch the other socialize with the other kids I care for. The salary is not comparable to a doctor's, but the "pay-off" is huge. Clio is gorgeous- she will have a blast at daycare; she will play and make friends and come home to YOU!
    Lana, Ottawa, ON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy- That is a wonderful dream and one I would gladly live in if ever possible! Maybe one day!

    Lana- I remember you mentioning this before on an earlier post (right?) and I remember thinking what a great idea that was, starting a day care so you could stay home. I think you're right, the "pay-off" is much larger when you are at home with your child, even if the salary isn't as good. We are fortunate that she is going to a home day care with someone who absolutely loves taking care of infants. I do hope that she makes friends and enjoys her time at day care. And yes, she will be coming home to me and that makes me very happy. I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just hard. It got easier for me, but not quickly. And even then, it never got easy. I'm thinking of you and your Clio as you get through this.

    I wish I had more helpful suggestions than to try as hard as you can to make space for yourself to be a mess (or to leave early, or to call and check up on her multiple times a day) during the first few weeks back at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going back to work is so hard, but try to be patient with yourself. My first few weeks back after having Eleanor, I wanted to quit. But I toughed it out, and things did get better. I had to remind myself that it was good for me to have an identity outside of motherhood.

    And as Clio gets older, she will learn things from her caretakers. Sometimes I think Eleanor's babysitter is more patient with her than I am.

    But with all of that said, I'm about to quit my job to go back to school and become a nurse. Given your feelings about your job, maybe you know something that I don't about medicine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Clio is just so yummy. That is the best word I can find, she has one of those little bellys that you just want to give a rasberry to. ;).
    I hate student loans, I have really been rethinking this whole getting a masters thing but if I quit now then I have to start paying back and right now it is nice to kind of ignore how much debt I have piled up with my loans.
    One thing that I have done over the years, dont' know if you have this option, but I would work and save, save, save and then take some time off. For example, when the kids seemed to be having a lot going on, I took a little time off.
    I have only been able to take short breaks from work and it isn't the best on my resume but it has been great for the kids. (or maybe just my sanity).
    I know that may not be an option but the one good thing is that you are at least part time for now, that should make the transistion a bit easier.
    I love the whole home daycare thing but another thing we did that made it easier for me to run home at lunch and get a snuggle was to hire a Nanny.
    Now most people say a nanny?? You got some dough, well let me tell you we don't got no dough LOL. We hired a college student that was only going to school on certain days during the week. She was only $75 a week. I thought that was a pretty good rate, not sure what you are paying though.
    Okay so I promised myself I wouldn't try to give advice and act like I have some knowledge of how to go back to work after losing a baby and having a rainbow, but sometimes I just have to get these things out of my head or they will keep me up all night. Sending you so much luck for Monday.
    Oh and Monday I will offcially be employed permantly again and it will be my first day back at work since before Braedon was born outside of a few days subbing for the local school district.
    So I am sending you some luck and lots of strength and I will be thinking of you as I make my new journey as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah- "I had to remind myself that it was good for me to have an identity outside of motherhood" Yes, this. Exactly. Also, what I hate about medicine is not something that as a nurse you will have to deal with all that much. If I were to rewind and pick another profession in medicine it would be nursing; all of the stuff I like (patient contact) and none of the stuff I hate. Good luck, I'm sure you will do wonderfully!

    Paula- I'm very grateful for your words of advice, always. I'm glad you got it all out of your head, so to speak. In regards to having a break occasionally, we plan to do that in between this job and the next (maybe in a year?). Good luck on your new permanent position. If I may offer you some advice on returning to work after losing a baby, go very easy on yourself. If you need to hide out in the bathroom and cry from time to time, don't feel badly about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had sage words of advice.. but I hope you know I will be thinking of you on Monday..
    I worked for a few months when my first was 6 months old. It was hard for me and eventually by the time my 2nd came along even though I was basically part time (pharmaceuticals) I ended up becoming a SAHM. I know many women who work both full and part time..if they have any advice I will pass it on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never went back after Hope died, so no advice here. But my heart felt heavy reading this, so I know that doesn't even come close to how you're feeling. I'll be thinking of you, so much.
    Let us know how you go.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's gorgeous. I can almost see that little big head information gathering!

    Argh I wish I could lie and tell you that it will be incredibly easy! I'm sorry that you have to go back so soon, it makes me feel grateful to be on this side of the pond as I had over a year off with J and will not be going back to work until January having had R in May. And, initially, I left J with my mother or mother-in-law. Sounds like you have someone great to look after your beautiful Clio though.

    The only way I could make myself feel better was to get by 'bread winning' head on and remind myself that I was working to PROVIDE for my babies. I don't love my job, statistics is (as you know!) fairly dry old stuff but I have to work to pay the bills. My coping mechanism was to go out at lunch time and buy something small, relatively cheap but instant gratification-ish for J. So I was getting something tangible for her as well as focusing on the fact that the money I earned was paying for the house, the electricity, the food and so on. Ummm . . .enjoy the adult conversations you can hold with your co-workers?

    Ach, it is just HORRIBLE to have to leave them. I still find myself scanning the office for J's bobbing head! It does get better. Perhaps you could switch career paths to writing, I'd certainly buy any book you cared to write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brianna~ I was out of town so I am just now replying. All I can say is - THAT SUCKS! It sucks that you have to go back to work and it sucks that you don't like what you do. I may be starting work myself next week and totally dreading it...and I LOVE my job.

    When I was pregnant with Kai I planned on returning to work. Then he was born and I JUST COULDN'T DO IT! I cried just thinking about leaving him. SO I stayed home and we struggled financially but it was hard because how do you put monetary value on being with your child? I knew the time of infancy and childhood is fleeting and I would have the rest of my life to work. I put my loans on deferment and lived with less. It has been worth every penny I haven't made. At 18 months old I returned to work part time. I cried and cried. Like I said though, I love my job. I love my patience I like making a difference in peoples lives. I really like helping people get out of pain. When I am at work the nice thing is, it isn't about me and so I am out of my head and into my work.

    Children are so resilient and I know Clio will thrive in the environment you described as a lovely setting that you trust. I think finding child care is the hardest part. How can you leave your child with SOMEONE ELSE? Right? UGH! No one is good enough.

    Kai hated going at first and now he really enjoys it. That being said he does only go two days a week. I think it is good for both of us. I need to believe that...but if I had more money I can guarantee you he would be home with me :)

    So the good part: When you pick Clio up at the end of your day...it is like Christmas morning...EVERY time. I love how Kai runs to me and yells "mama"! and throws his arms around me. I know Clio can't do that yet but you can throw your arms around her and cover her is kisses and she will laugh and smile and all will be right again in the world.

    I am sending you as much good transition positivity as I can. I know how rough this is. I know, I know. Just cry and cry and know it will be okay. It will.

    ReplyDelete