The dry wind is blowing hard here today. They’re the Santa Ana winds, originally called Santana's Wind. The Devil's Wind. A meteorological phenomenon that sweeps through the Los Angeles basin throughout the fall and winter. It has been inspiring songwriters and arsonists since, well, since forever probably.
Scientists surmise that the winds cause increases in atmospheric cations, which in turn leads to an increase in serotonin levels in the body. Think Prozac blowing through at sustained speeds of 40 mph (65 kph) with occasional 70 mph (112 kph) gusts.
Nature's way of saying, chill the fuck out. Now go eat a sandwich and take a nap.
After George died numerous people approached me with the idea of getting on antidepressants (none of whom were medical professionals, by the way, just concerned citizens). I politely declined. They thought it was because I was afraid to take them. I wasn't afraid. I was just waiting for the fall when the Santa Anas would kick back into high gear and all would be right again.
Well, that, and I didn't think I needed them. I still don’t think I need them but I wouldn’t hesitate if I thought that I did.
What I really need, and what I’m wondering if there is some sort of other meteorological phenomenon that can lend a proverbial hand to, is some relief from all this anger and guilt I’ve been carrying around for the last seven or eight months. Something that will change my brain chemistry, if even for a little while. That would be nice.
We have a photograph of Leif as a baby on the fridge. All white blond hair and toothless smile. I look at it and see George and I am mad. Mad because I don’t really know that he would have looked like his dad. It is just a guess. Mad that I have to guess at such things.
The anger that I have is at the same time broad and directed. Mad at everything and mad at nothing. Mad at God and not mad at God, since I tend to not really throw my hat in God’s corner anyway.
Mad at someone and mad at no one.
I’m looking for somewhere to aim my ire and coming up with only passable targets. Not worth the effort usually.
Sometimes I'm mad at myself, which is where the guilt creeps in. Did we do the right thing when we made the decision to not send him to the NICU? They said he would in all likelihood, if he even survived, be severely brain damaged. We thought we were doing the compassionate thing. Does that even matter?
I read women’s stories of their children on Faces of Loss and Faces of Hope and occasionally I see things written like the following in regards to making the decision to send a preemie to the NICU,
“I also had to ‘let her go’. How can anyone sleep with that on their conscious? Not me, that’s for sure.”
Ouch.
We "let our son go." Even though I know really that he was beyond help, it still stings. Especially after reading something like that.
The guilt settles in.
I read about women’s stories of the success of extreme preemies surviving thanks to the NICU and I wonder if we had made a different decision if I would be holding a four-month old infant right now instead of sitting in front of this computer.
The guilt stretches wide the confines of its prison.
Yes, I could do for a meteorological phenomenon of my own. Maybe a light rainfall would suffice. No, too cliche. A hailstorm might be a better fit, metaphorically speaking. At least a snow flurry. But the chance of getting snow here is nothing to place bets on.
It is still outside now.
The wind is all but gone.

thinking about you today. if it's worth anything at all i think you made the decision that made the most sense in a time of madness. sometimes that's all we can do. whether it is right or wrong isn't always for us to know i guess. maybe those things don't exist in the way that we want them to anyway. you fiercely loved your baby and fought hard for you family. you put george first, always. more and more i can begin to imagine what that need is like. i wish i could take some of this burden from you. i love you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI've had the anti-depressant talk with a few folks over the last few months. I've come to the conclusion that people just fail to understand that following the death of your child you are supposed to feel hurt, sorrow, guilt, anger, sadness, etc. and that those feelings last for a long time. All those things have to be dealt with at some point, so may as well do it now. I'm not saying that for some people there isn't a line that gets crossed and anti-depressants would be a useful and good thing. But, like you, I think I'm just dealing with run of the mill grief and that's it. It sucks, yes, but anti-depressants are not the answer.
ReplyDeleteAnyway. Although our stories are not the same, I have my fair share of guilt, too. My OB wanted to induce at 39 weeks. If we had done that would Micah have lived? Geez, if I had gone to the hospital just an hour earlier, would he have lived?
Hubby reminds me when I get all mired down in that stuff that we made the best decisions we could at the time. And I believe you did, too. I know it doesn't erase the guilt, but, of course you did the best you could for your boy. And really, from outside the perspective of a dead baby mama, that's all we could have done.
I could write you a book in response to this post, it hits home on so many things, but this is long enough. Hugs, dear. I hope the winds are helping.
thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a footprint there to lead me back here.
ReplyDeleteYup, on having people suggest antidepressants to me as well. And while my philosophy for myself is that (at least right now) I want to be feeling this rather than numbing it out, interestingly enough last night I found myself wishing them for my husband, because I'm having such a hard time seeing his grief at such an intensity. I can only imagine that my friends suggesting them for me also have a similar discomfort with seeing me in such intense despair.
Having lived in LA for many years as well, I know the Santa Anas far too well...they both made me happy and occasionally made me nuts. We had a slogan sort of like the "What happens in Vegas..." but with reference to Santa Anas - "What happens during Santa Anas..."
And we also were faced with a similar sort of NICU decision, ours was to take our boy off life support after his brain scans revealed no significant brain activity (other than seizures)...It's a crazy-making game, second guessing our decisions and our choices (both during my pregnancy, my labor, and Otis' birth...) The only peace I can find is also in the "I made the best decisions for my son that I could at that time." and I have to trust in the truth - because second guessing is enough to make me lose even the very few hours of sleep I'm barely getting.
I'm very sorry for the loss of your George. And thanks again for stopping by my blog.
with care,
sarah
'We thought we were doing the compassionate thing. Does that even matter?' I think it does. I think it matter more than anything.
ReplyDeleteAch Brianna. Well, as you know, I'm coming at this NICU issue from both angles. We didn't make the decision as to whether to send the girls or not. They were sent and we were told. There have been times when I've regretted that for my G. She went through a lot of medical procedures and I often wonder what it was like for her in those few days. It makes me think that I was not a good mother to her. Sometimes I wonder if I was even a human being.
It is so hard not to second guess your own decisions and the truth is that we can never know. Perhaps I should have tried to persuade them to keep going? I can only think that I took the choice that I did because I loved her. I know that you and Leif took the choice you did because you loved George.
Hope the weather changes for you.
Nat: Thank you. I appreciate your support so much. You are a good friend. In a way you do help me carry this burden. You have never turned away from my grief and I love you even more for it.
ReplyDeleteJenn: I hate those "what ifs." I know we all have them and we will never know for sure what outcomes would have been had other choices been made. I think you are absolutely right about having to deal with all those feelings sooner or later. Better sooner rather than later. Direct language from my grief counselor.
Sarah: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message. Your blog is quite special. Thank you for sharing it with us.
It is interesting to hear from someone who knows these winds of which I am referring to. They really are something else.
I like your term "crazy-making game" because really I have never heard a better way to some this whole thing up. The second-guessing, the "if onlys." It is enough to drive you mad.
Catherine: I know you have seen both outcomes of the NICU course. It must be a difficult thing to work through. Jessica here and Georgina not. How could they have had such different fates. You are a wonderful mother to both of your girls. You give both of them everything of who you are. That is, you are a beautiful mother and human being.
Brianna- I am new to your blog but wanted to say that I understand, and I am so very sorry. While my son was stillborn, I can only imagine having to make choice with a preemie.
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for you mamma.... be gentle on yourself.
Love and grace-L
Lovely post Brianna - and so much to think about. I had a bit of a battle with my first therapist because she was very pro antidepressants, but I was hesitant - for similar reasons to Jenn - that I felt like my grief was a reasonable reaction to what had happened, and numbing it wouldn't make it any easier to get my head around this awful reality. Plus, we wanted to start trying to conceive again soon and I had dug up an article from the 2009 BMJ linking antidepressant use in early pregnancy with septal heart defects. Given how long it has taken to get the fertility process re-started, and how low I was during that time, I sometimes wonder whether I should have just filled the prescription, but I didn't, and (most of the time) I don't think I need it now.
ReplyDeleteBut I like your idea of a meteorological phenomenon to help you through this bit. There is an amazing emotional scene in the film Radiance (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163169/) in the midst of a big tropical storm - it is a good thing when you feel like the elements are sympathising with you.
And the guilt. I'd second what Catherine and others have said above - you did your very best at the time as George's parents. The one thing (for me) that seems to deflate the destructive power of guilt is to call its name as a bully and to remind it that, really, it has no power to change things, only to make you feel worse. That doesn't stop the guilt thoughts from coming, but it can help let them go. There are so many hypothetical realities, but this is the one that you have to live with, even if you'd prefer an alternative one.
Hoping the Santa Anas chill things out a little. xxxh
ps apologies for hideously long comment!
Leslie: Thank you for your kind words. I know our struggles are all unique to ourselves and we can never fully understand what another person experiences. I can't imagine how difficult it is to lose a child in the way that you loss Cullen. But I know how lonely it is and I think there is the commonality in all our stories. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteHanen: Oh I love comments, especially hideously long ones. They are like little presents. About the anti-depressants. I think it is such a personal decision. I really do believe that depression is an imbalance in the brain chemistries and thank God for modern medicine that there are options out there to help. I may not need them now but there is no telling when or if I may in the future.
I absolutely agree with you about the destructive power of guilt. I think I would have had guilt no matter what decision we had made. I like your idea of thinking about it as a bully. I will give that a shot and see if it helps. Thank you.
Hanen: Also meant to say that I am going to see if I can find that film Radiance somehow. Maybe on Netflix.
ReplyDelete