I am a shadow.
A silent, trembling figure in the corner.
Full round bellies. Pregnant with anticipation and with the promise of life.
I am neither pregnant with anticipation nor with the promise of life.
-Karen, you can head on back to the ultrasound room now-
Excited smiles.
-Oh, I can't believe this is going to be the last one before he's born-
.
.
.
.
I don't belong here.
.
.
.
.
The impulse to leave itches the soles of my feet.
I want to bury myself in a pile of leaves; gold and red and orange and brown.
The smell of wet earth in my nose and the crunch of fall in my ears.
Instead,
Tears in the bathroom.
Paper gowns and an exam table.
A discussion about
next time...
and not high risk but treated as such
and no reason to think it will happen again
but close monitoring
with Perinatologist
with Cardiologist
and echocardiograms
Then I'm away, dragging the weight of my morning behind me.
Next time. Next time. Next time.
I don't even want to think about a next time.
I want a do-over.
I want a time machine.
xxxxxx
ReplyDeleteArg. I didn't realise until our experience that maternity hospitals do more than just deliver living babies. It is so hard being the non-pregnant patient in those places.
I think burying yourself in a pile of leaves sounds like good therapy.
xxxh
I want a time machine too.
ReplyDeleteThere should be a non-maternity-no-pregnant-ladies section for us.
xxx
Oh, honey. Awful. It's all awful. It should never be this way and I'm so sorry it is for you.
ReplyDeleteI've been that trembling figure in the corner too. It's no fun. I'm sorry that you had to go through this experience.
ReplyDeleteI wish that we could all have a do-over. x
Yes, a do-over for us all. That is what I want the most.
ReplyDeleteBut seeing as that is not possible -oh, if only it were- then it would be a kind gesture for a direct route to an exam room instead of a waiting room full of harsh realities.
Amen. Direct route is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry, I wish I was there to put you in a protective bubble. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteOh for a time machine..
ReplyDeleteor at the very least, like you say, a bypass of waiting rooms.