I think I stopped painting because I just didn't find it inspiring anymore. Or I wasn't inspired by anything enough to lug out my paints and brushes. After George died I thought this would change but it didn't. All I could think of painting was big black and blue circles and so I just didn't even bother. I'm no Kandinsky, after all. My drawer full of paints and my crate full of paper/canvas has just been sitting unused and collecting dust, quite literally.
But this last week I have been feeling particularly blue and it has got me searching for things to occupy my time. I still have no job and nothing is looking very promising at the moment. I could take a job that I do not like but I am not quite at the point yet where that option is looking to be a good one. I'm close to that point though. Very close.
What I have been finding is that being unemployed, childless, and bored is a recipe for also being very sad and for feeling pretty crappy about myself. Oh self-esteem, where art thou?
Today I dragged out my paints and my brushes and spent most of the daylight hours painting. I chose one of George's ultrasound pictures. Actually it was the one we got at his 20 week scan and the one we found out that "the baby" was actually George. That, along with the day I married Leif, was the happiest moment of my life.
As ultrasounds tend to be, this one was a tad bit confusing and I had to take some artistic liberties with one of the limbs (seriously I can't tell if it is a foot or an arm so I just made it into an arm). I will probably end up fixing some stuff about it later but for now it is what it is.
I can't say that I am completely happy with the way it turned out but it does look like my boy, especially his face. I can see his dad in that face.
I'm kind of nervous about putting this up here but...here goes anyway...
George Ellsworth. Acrylic.

I really like that.
ReplyDeleteit's beautiful and it helps me to see him.
ReplyDeleteI think your painting of George is beautiful. It made me smile and cry simultaneously.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can shake the blues. C xo
Beautiful, I love it.
ReplyDeletexxx
I've lost my self-esteem too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful painting.
Thank you guys.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThank you, M.
ReplyDeleteoh brianna, I came here yesterday, I swear, and told you how beautiful I think this painting is...how I love the drips of paint, and I love George's sweet face, and more (I think.) blogger must have eaten my comment.
ReplyDeletesending love, and care. sarah
Thank you Sarah. Blogger does tend to do that sometimes. It has happened to me too.
ReplyDeleteBrianna, your painting of George is so incredibly beautiful. And please be gentle with yourself during what I know continues to be a terrible time. It's taken me a while, but I think I'm finally understanding that there is no "wrong" action or reaction or inaction during the process of grieving and mourning. It really is OK to just be. While I know there is not much you can do about feeling sad, I hope you will feel less crappy about yourself as time goes on. You may never be the same you again, but the essential parts of you remain, and will emerge again when you are ready. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful painting. So much love and grief in it... it makes it hard to tear one's eyes away from it. Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAmazing. Both the talent and the ability to convey emotion. Thank you so much for showing us. For me, just the act of making art was so important. It can't take the sadness away, but by putting it into an image you can look at it and say, "there - this is what I am experiencing".
ReplyDeleteAnd there he is - your beautiful George. What an amazing little face. xxxxh
I hope the blues are lifting a bit. And this? This painting of George? I love it. Absolutely. I haven't the words at the moment to convey my reaction other than - beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Thinking of you, as I often do, and sending love. xxx
ReplyDeleteThank you guys. It feels good to share him with you all.
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely painting of your son. Thank you for sharing it with us. I feel you on being uninspired. Nowadays, I'm unmotivated to even blog.
ReplyDelete*sigh* But it's good you're able to paint. Creating art can be so therapeutic. Perhaps this will be the start of your own 'blue phase' to healing and finding peace.
Wow, a woman of many talents! Beautiful and very moving picture, thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteI am literally at a loss for words on this painting.. it simply takes my breath away..... I am in awe...
ReplyDelete