Everyone knows the old adage, "When life hands you a bowl of lemons, make lemonade." Well, it just so happened that last week my sister gave me a large bowl of Meyer lemons from her tree* and so I decided to make lemon bars. And because apparently a little lemon goes a long way, also lemon risotto, preserved lemons, and the proverbial lemonade.
I've never made lemon bars before. As it turns out they are really easy to make as well as really, really tasty. I'm talking about the type of tasty that effectively lobotomizes your frontal lobe, leaving you with the inability to understand the future consequences of eating too many of said lemon bars or at least the inability for caring about those consequences. But, I can claim no responsibility for the way these turned out. The kudos goes to the -essentially- idiot-proof recipe I followed.
I highly suggest that if you happen to find yourself the unexpected recipient of a booty of lemons you should try to make these bars. You won't be sorry. Well, after the fifth bar in a row you may be sorry but before that you will temporarily forget your troubles. That ability, even if only temporary, is a welcome friend.
And since I can't do anything -accept for, ahem, certain things- without taking photos, I present to you, "When life hands you a bowl full of lemons, make lemon bars and then eat them until you aren't sad anymore," in photos.
I've never made lemon bars before. As it turns out they are really easy to make as well as really, really tasty. I'm talking about the type of tasty that effectively lobotomizes your frontal lobe, leaving you with the inability to understand the future consequences of eating too many of said lemon bars or at least the inability for caring about those consequences. But, I can claim no responsibility for the way these turned out. The kudos goes to the -essentially- idiot-proof recipe I followed.
I highly suggest that if you happen to find yourself the unexpected recipient of a booty of lemons you should try to make these bars. You won't be sorry. Well, after the fifth bar in a row you may be sorry but before that you will temporarily forget your troubles. That ability, even if only temporary, is a welcome friend.
And since I can't do anything -accept for, ahem, certain things- without taking photos, I present to you, "When life hands you a bowl full of lemons, make lemon bars and then eat them until you aren't sad anymore," in photos.
Making the crust with a lot of butter. Delicious, delicious, butter.
Raining powdered sugar.
My lemon bars had bald spots.
Being enjoyed by my husband.
*There are really only two things you can count on living in southern California. One is that at nearly any time of the day you will be subjected to an excruciatingly slow drive in freeway traffic. The other is that someone you know has a citrus fruit tree of some sort whose fruit is going unused and rotting on the tree. This is the case with my next door neighbor (but not my sister) and her beautiful lemon tree. I would ask her for lemons but I don't speak a word of Korean (aside from Hello) and she doesn't speak a word of English. Oh well.









Ooh that looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's time to add another word to your Korean vocabulary?!
xxx
delicious! i agree with barbara. bring your neighbors some bars and gesture to the lemons. everyone likes a trade!
ReplyDeleteThese look so good. Yum!
ReplyDeleteOooo those look nice! Definitely try to do a swap with your neighbour and then you and L can have an endless supply of lemon bars!
ReplyDeleteThose lemon bars look yummy! Anything that can make you temporarily forget while filling your tummy with deliciousness is always welcome in my book. Trading them lemon bars with your neighbor sounds like a good idea.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I studied Korean last year but apparently my vocab is only good for watching K-dramas. My pronunciation is just as bad. But because I have no life, let me try this...
"Can I have your lemons?" - 나는 당신의 레몬? - na-neun dang-si-nui re-mon?
Don't ever use it, though. Your Korean neighbor might think you're propositioning to her. Heh. ;)
Well, I may have to go next door and try to get some lemons. If she answers the door (did I mention that she is just the cutest little old woman I've ever seen) and she lets me use my new found Korean -thanks Jennifer!- to ask for lemons maybe I will get to make more. Or, maybe she will think I'm trying to pick up on her, like Jennifer said:)
ReplyDeleteoh - now very hungry!! I love the idea of you trying to get the lemon concept across to your neighbour without any unintentional propositioning.
ReplyDeleteOh man, those look so damn good. I can't picture lemons growing on neighbours trees, lemons seem very exotic when you live in England lol!
ReplyDeletebrianna,
ReplyDeletenot only do these lemon bars look absolutely amazing, but you have such a talent in photographing them as well - it looks like a shoot from a fancy food magazine!
I *love* lemon bars. They are probably my favorite dessert item. I remember I used to ask for them in lieu of birthday cake on my birthday when I was a kid.
Temptress!! Yum......
ReplyDeleteI love your photos and your writing.
ReplyDeleteYou are a beautiful person and a wonderful mama.