Friday, June 24, 2011

stupid

I don't really expect random people out in the world to care about the fact that my son died.  I would like them to have some small amount empathy but I don't really expect them to care.  I mean, people are all wrapped up in their own lives and most of the time there isn't a lot of room for anyone else.  I get that, I really do and I can't totally fault them for that.  I'm often guilty of the same thing.

But...

Yesterday someone at work asked me for the third time if this baby was my first.  The first two times she asked I told her, "No, I had a son last year who died right after he was born."  This last time I said "Yup," out loud while in my head I was saying, "Fuck You!"  Is it really that fucking difficult to remember something like someone sharing that they had a child who died?  Really?  I remember that you like to go on a walk everyday at lunch but you can't remember that I've told you twice already that I lost a baby.

Thanks for that, lady.

6 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I would want to knock that woman right the hell out. I mean, I'm not advocating violence or anything, but damn that's stupid. Sometimes I really hate people.

    But. I'm thinking of you as you make your way through this pregnancy. Sending lots of love and good vibes your way.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. She what?! (spits coffee all over keyboard)

    What?! You have already told her TWICE! What the hell is wrong with this woman?

    Oh my. As you say, I don't expect people to care but a little empathy, or even basic courtesy, would be nice. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ASSHAT!!!! Ugh.. what a total douchebag!
    Feel free to pass my comment along to her.. and snap a pic of that kodak moment!
    Thinking of you often..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So obnoxious. I have a freakish memory for conversations, so I am always surprised (and annoyed) when someone else can't recall something I told them. Sharing the fact that your baby died, though, that goes beyond obnoxious to absolutely rude and self-absorbed. Sorry you had to deal with her. I bet that her life in general is actually way boring and sad and lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's just...wow. Unless she's dealing with TMI and short-term memory loss, I don't understand how anyone could be quite this hurtfully forgetful/uncaring/clueless. I am so, so sorry you've had to deal with this (for lack of a better term) person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the solidarity in the outrage. Seriously, it is nice to know that I'm not being overly sensitive on this issue.

    ReplyDelete