Leif and I are lucky. Well...if you exclude the obvious horrible lack of luck we had recently.
We are lucky because we have some pretty damn good friends. Friends that most people just aren't lucky enough to find. Friends that you can always count on to be there when you most need them and to know you well enough to ignore you when you act like a punk.
Marc and Natalie are some of those friends. They flew in from Portland last weekend to celebrate my graduation and to spend some time with us. Secretly I suspect that they were just looking for an excuse to come to the beach. But who can blame them when they live in a city that is rainy like 300 days out of the year or something heinous like that.
I've known Natalie for almost sixteen years and she is ultimately the person responsible for the love connection between Leif and myself. Her husband (then boyfriend) and Leif worked together at the time and she was the one who had the foresight to "introduce" us in the hopes that we would hit it off. It worked. Obviously.
Anyway...like I said, Natalie and I have been friends for almost sixteen years. Our friendship currently has its learner's permit and will soon be going to the DMV to get its license. Watch out fellow motorists because our friendship drives a speedy red sports car. Which runs on biofuel, of course.
As always we had a great time with them and the weekend just flew right by us. I think the reason for that had something to do with the fact that we ate so much food that we were not physically capable of keeping up with the weekend. Which is the only important marker of a successful weekend.
That is, food and the beach. Those are the two markers of a successful weekend. A little smash ball, a little sandcastle building and a serious lack of enough sunscreen for Marc and Leif made for a fun day at a relatively empty beach.
When it was time for them to return to Portland and to their hipper, more tattooed friends we were sad to see them go. They are two people who we would love to live nearer to. Maybe one day.




No comments:
Post a Comment