This is why this bums me out...
Costa Rica is beautiful.
If no Costa Rica then these are the main things I have to consider when trying to figure out another place to visit:
1. Travel time. We don't want to travel for longer than half a day or so.
2. Beach. There must be beautiful tropical beaches where other tourists are not swarming all over the place.
3. Safety. I am chicken shit. Seriously. I am a huge pansy.
4. Low key. Leif and I like our vacations sloooowwww. Which is why Costa Rica is so great for us. We can relate really well to all the sloths that live there.
Those four things don't seem like much but I am having a difficult time coming up with other options.
- Hawaii is not going to happen since five months ago I was there for my third visit.
- Mexico seems to be knocked out of the running by either 2 or 3 on my list. Maybe I am incorrectly swayed by the media to think that non-touristy places in Mexico are dangerous for foreigners right now. Please educate me if I am indeed being misled by popular media outlets. Even though I trust the media 100% and they never, ever lie about anything. Sarcasm, folks.
- The Florida Keys were a possibility but there is a good chance that the oil from the BP fiasco will be headed there next, which is truly heartbreaking.
- We don't do cruises. They freak me out. I had a friend who used to work on a large cruise liner and she shared with me that people die all the time on cruises. Elderly people will often just continually go on cruises until they die. They are affectionately referred to as "white-lighters" by cruise staff. And you know what that means? Ghosts.
- Canada is a nice place. I like Canadians a lot. But unless the geography of the world has been turned on its nose, tropical beaches aren't really to be found in our friendly northern neighbor's territories.



Islas de la Bahia, or the Bay Islands, off the northern coast of Honduras are beautiful. I spent several days on Utila, one of three islands. Roatán, the biggest island is the most touristy, with Utila, the smallest being super mellow. There are cute bed and breakfasts, and you can pay random fishermen $20 (100 lempiras) to take you out to one of the keys - tiny, tiny little islands with no one on them - and then pick you up at the end of the day. The people speak a mixture of english, spanish, and creole - very confusing at first because your ear wants to respond to every third word, but is immensely dumbfounded by the other 2/3. And the water/beaches are ridiculous. Don't know about direct flights, but it's a good option for all other reasons concerned. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is a very good option. I had a classmate once who was a diver and before we decided on Costa Rica he tried to convince me to go to the Bay Islands. I totally forgot about that. Thanks Tia!
ReplyDeleteAlso...my Spanglish might work well there, it sounds like.
southern Belize is about as slow as i've seen. really private and beautiful. has to be south, though (i think).
ReplyDeletehoneybee-
ReplyDeleteBelize is a good idea too. Is Southern Belize generally quieter?
Now I have to run off and start researching Belize too.
Thanks for the tip and thanks for visiting my blog.