A new house to make into a home.
But...
And isn't there always a "but?"
Part of me feels like I am leaving behind a piece of George here in this apartment. It was here that housed all of the hopes we had for him while he was still alive and healthy. Grief has all but choked out that hope but I can still catch glimpses of them from time to time. Sometimes I can still remember what it was like to think of him with only joy and not the longing with which I think of him now. He was alive here. At one point he was in the present here. In our new place he will always be in the past.
On so many levels and because of so many things going on in our lives right now I feel like I am closing a door on him. I know, I know, I know people -including my therapist- will say that it isn't true. But isn't it true just a little? When tragedy strikes isn't there a point when we make a conscience decision to start living our lives again? When we decide to keep moving forward and to start folding dreams of the future back into daily living?
I think Leif has been at that point for awhile now, patiently waiting for me to turn my gaze back to the road ahead instead of the chaos behind.
....
*I wrote this long explanation about how our landlord reacted very poorly to this news last night. But then I deleted it all. Let me just say that she was very, very unhappy that we were giving our thirty days notice even though we are within our rights to do so. The conversation was not pretty and at one point getting an attorney was mentioned on her part. Later that night she called and conceded to the fact that we were legally within our rights to give our thirty day notice at any point during the month but it doesn't negate how terribly we were treated earlier. Seriously, folks, it was unreal. I've never been spoken to like that before and I've dealt with some really tough patients before. The interaction just made me feel more ready to get the fuck out of here. Hopefully our new landlord is a reasonable human being who treats other people in her life with respect.
Please keep your fingers crossed that our landlord does not try to make our remainder here any more uncomfortable than it already is going to be. I can't wait until these are the views we will be seeing every day.




Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous. I imagine, all things considered, of course, that you will thoroughly enjoy being surrounded by such beauty.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think you are right, a little bit at least. It sounds harsh to some, but I agree that there has to come a point where you at least start to move on from a tragedy. I think for some people it may happen naturally as time passes and their lives begin to be filled by other things again, but I also think it's healthy and necessary for some people to make a conscious decision to start living their lives again, as you've written.
Now, with that said, I don't think it means you're necessarily leaving George behind, although I can completely understand why you would feel that way. The reality is that he is no longer here, in your current house, in your next house, in any house you decide to make into a home in the future. It's such a sad reality, of course, but it's what your life is now.
You carry him in you - and not even in the sappy sentimental way some people mean as they flippantly say he's in your heart forever - but in the way those of us touched by this kind of tragedy can say - you carry his memory, the joy of his life, the beauty of the hope you had for him, the sorrow and pain and loss you feel over losing him - all of this is carried in you Brianna.
And so wherever you go in this life George will always be with you. And I mean that in the most sincere and least sentimental way possible.
I hope this comment comes across as I mean it to - in a loving and caring and understanding and affirming way. I am so exhausted these past few days that I'm not sure I've really explained myself well. If that's the case, please just ignore all of this and know I wish you the best in your move and the last bit of time you have in your current house.
Thinking of you.
I will have my fingers crossed that your landlord doesn't give you any more grief. That sounds awful, particularly as you and Leif are only doing what you are fully entitled to do!
ReplyDeleteHmmm, I don't know if we do make a conscious decision to leave our grief behind or not. Sometimes I wonder if it is even a choice? Or if it just feels like one? Even if we desperately wish it wouldn't, time just keeps pushing us forward? I love your description of 'folding dreams of the future back into daily living.' So beautiful and it is certainly something that disappeared for my family for a little time.
Those views are absolutely amazing, it all looks impossibly glamorous from where I'm sitting!
Jenn: You have explained yourself beautifully and I do feel your sincerity. I believe that he will always be here too. Just sad to be moving on to a new chapter without him...
ReplyDeleteCatherine: I don't even think it is a conscience decision to leave grief behind. I think it is part of me (of us all) but it is about bringing in the hopes for the future as well. Feels sad for some reason.
Jenn said everything I was thinking, but more eloquently than I could have, I think.
ReplyDeletebrianna, george will forever be with you, no matter where you are. I absolutely believe he will be brought into your new home, alongside new dreams for a future, and he will have a place in your home, always. I understand the sadness at leaving, but, especially given the landlord's harsh reaction, it sounds like it's time to go.
sending love.
Those views are stunning.. I am so happy that you are making a well needed move. Jen said this perfectly... he is with you- always. You will carry him in your heart until you depart this earth yourself.
ReplyDeleteWith so much love and grace- Leslie
Your landlord sounds painful. Hope that she isn't too nasty about it all. I know what you mean about feeling like you are leaving him behind somehow. I do feel like places often carry some kind of emotional "trace" from the things that happen to and the feelings felt by people who live there.
ReplyDeleteHope that your new place (such views! so beautiful) is just the right energy for you & you find a good way to create a little George-space within this new life.
Jen's right - he will always be with you - and not just in your heart - possibly also your appendix: http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/23/10/2319.full. We literally carry our babies' living cells witin our bodies - I hope that gives you some tiny comfort. xxxxh
Hanen, thank you for making me laugh. I don't have an appendix anymore but I'm sure I still carry him around somewhere. I love that idea. You are wonderful!
ReplyDelete