This is complete and utter bullshit.
Today I refuse to try and be happy. Today I will lay in my dark bedroom, close my eyes and let myself remember everything.
I will remember his button nose. I will remember his tiny arms and the blue-green veins that traced along his fingers. I will remember watching his dad hold him. I will remember him alive. I will remember kissing him while he could still feel my touch. I will remember him in death. I will remember everything we lost when we lost our boy.
There is no consoling, no "things will get better with time." They will not. Not really. I may learn to live my life but there will always be a gaping bleeding hole inside. I will be eighty years old and I will still grieve my son.
I want to find solace with other women who have lost their babies too. But mostly I find women using terms like "angel baby" and how God will see them through this and all along this was part of His plan... and I cannot relate. I don't have any notion in my mind that George is an angel in Heaven and I don't believe God, if there even is one, had any hand to play in this disaster. Praying to a god who allowed my son to die is not going to heal my heart and it most certainly won't bring him back from the dead.
I used to believe. In another life. A life long before George was even a light on the horizon .
I often wonder, while jumping from blog to blog if dead babies mostly only happen to Christians. It seems this way. Perhaps before their own dead babies at least a few of them were like me: agnostic at most. But maybe tragedy of this magnitude makes people hold on to anything that makes them feel less despair. I can understand and I certainly don't begrudge anyone of their faith, but I can't relate. Right now I want so much to relate to another person who carries this around with them with the same sense of finality that I do. I only feel more alone and isolated with every blog, every message board, every book I find.
Leif believes. He believes we will see our son again one day. I am happy that he does. It makes me happy that he has hope. He has hope enough for both of us and for now that has to be enough.
We're out there. Dead baby mamas who eschew the angel baby stuff, I mean. From your comment on my blog I see that you've found Glow, which might provide something that suits you better.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'll be here reading.
Thinking of your George xx
Thanks, it is good to know they're out there...and it makes me feel like shit too. Too many people in our shoes, regardless of faith or lack thereof.
ReplyDeleteWell I see you've found Glow and I see you've found Jess which would have been amongst the places I would have recommended if I'd been the first to comment.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I would describe myself. Unlikely to use the term "angel baby" perhaps? Sitting on the fence?
I love the last few sentences of this post and I am glad that Leif has belief and hope. They are sometimes not easy to sustain under these circumstances.