So after nearly an hour of searching through online images of native southern Californian bird species I have finally found the name of the birds that have been hanging around outside of our apartment for the last couple of months. They're Northern Mockingbirds. Whenever I hear them singing I am always reminded of my grandmother's house and afternoon naps because I would always wake up to warm golden afternoon sunlight and their chaotic but beautiful songs.
Sometimes late into the night or early morning we can hear them singing, which is unusual for birds. But I discovered that the un-mated males, during mating seasons, will sing well into the night. The males are also fairly territorial and aggressive and we have seen them, on more than one occasion, chasing after crows.
It is interesting that you bring up David Attenborough. Lately when Leif has been getting home from work he generally finds me partially hiding in the bushes commenting on the calls of the neighborhood birds. Also, I am impressed with the ingenuity of that lyre bird. I mean really, if you are looking for love why not cast the net farther to include inanimate objects?
Reminds me of this:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y
It is interesting that you bring up David Attenborough. Lately when Leif has been getting home from work he generally finds me partially hiding in the bushes commenting on the calls of the neighborhood birds.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I am impressed with the ingenuity of that lyre bird. I mean really, if you are looking for love why not cast the net farther to include inanimate objects?