Monday, April 26, 2010

.nobody walks in la.

Some times I get so tired of the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles that I can't find a single good thing about living in this city.  Other times I have such a great time living here that I am reminded why so many people live here despite the traffic and over crowding.  This past weekend was one of those times when I feel excited to be in Los Angeles.

Saturday, thanks to Melissa and one of her very nice patients, were able to go to the LA Zoo and meet some of the animals up close and personal.  First off let me just say that I have mixed feelings about zoos.  On the one hand I feel a deep sense of sadness associated with seeing animals on display. On the other hand, and especially after speaking with the zookeepers on Saturday, I see the value that zoos have in teaching the general public about preservation issues associated with the animals in the zoo.

During our visit to the zoo we got to meet the gorillas, the orangutans, and the giraffes.


LA Zoo from leif hanson on Vimeo.



To top off the day at the zoo we got free shaved ice.  Yum.

On Sunday we started off the morning with our normal trip to the Hollywood Farmer's Market.  This week we saw Andy Richter (Team CoCo!!!!). We like to say we go to the market for the fresh produce but to be honest it is for the pupusas, strawberry lemonade, and coconut cakes.



Hollywood farmer's market from leif hanson on Vimeo.

After the farmer's market we headed out to the Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve for some awesome orange flower action.

And orange they were.

After a long morning of hiking around it was off to Ikea to return a rug and to eat hotdogs and frozen yogurt. 

In the evening, after a dinner consisting of a giant artichoke and pasta, we walked over to Pinkberry for the day's second serving of frozen yogurt.

Yep, sometimes it is good to live in Los Angeles.

1 comment: