Monday, April 5, 2010

.the rainmaker.

It is raining outside right now.  It started this morning around 3:30.  I know because I was awake, lying in bed with a heating pad on my neck, an abdominal binder around my belly and two freezer bags of frozen vegetables on my breasts.  A surprisingly comfortable combination, actually, once you get over the initial shock of the coldness against the skin. 

I love the sound of the rain.  We so seldom hear it in Los Angeles.  It reminds me of George now. Nearly every appointment that we had at the OB’s office before we found out about his heart condition was on a rainy day.  Living in LA that is unusual.  When we went into the hospital the first time it was raining and it continued to do so off and on for many days while we were there.  I think it even rained on the day that we went for one of the final ultrasounds where we found out for sure that the medication hadn’t helped his hydrops. 

It was supposed to rain last Wednesday, on the day he was born.  I can’t say for sure if it did or not but I like to think that it did.  Leif says he was a little rainmaker, which for us is a happy thought.  George means farmer and I like to think that he would have been pretty good at that job had he had the chance, given that he could call down water from the clouds.   

He was definitely his father’s child.


No comments:

Post a Comment